rarest lego gun, actually shoots

A place for people at large to discuss items of interest with other people and members of the VLC.

Moderator: VLC Directors

who
MOC Poster

rarest lego gun, actually shoots

Post by who »

there is a new book out, called 'forbidden lego' which features lego creations that do not quite fit into lego rules of play 'mooaaahhaahhaaaa', including catapults and guns.

if anybody out there has a copy, please let me know if they mention the first gun that lego actually made which even fired a 1 x 4 smooth knobbed lego 'modulex' brick, way back in time (circa 1958-62 era).

in addition to this one in the photo`s, there are only four others known to exist, which are in the lego museum(a.k.a. the vault).

anybody else out there know anything about this gem of lego`s darker side?

who.
Attachments
lego pictures 029.jpg
lego pictures 028.jpg
lego pictures 027.jpg
lego pictures 026.jpg
jaem
MOC Poster

Post by jaem »

Who, you are INSANE! (In a good way...) How the heck did you manage to get your hands on that??
~Jeffery MacEachern
----
Blessed are the Geeks, for they shall Internet the Earth
who
MOC Poster

Post by who »

using a "time and relative dimention in space" machine.

who.
Robin
Master Poster

Post by Robin »

I just got back from Billund, and once again visited the private Lego museum. This time, I remembered to ask the curator about the "Lego gun". There's no gun actually on display anywhere in the museum, although there is quite a bit of other old stuff. I'll have to upload some pics sometime of the stuff I saw.

Anyway, when I asked the curator about the gun, she smiled and said slyly "Do you want to see it?" Of course, I said yes. So, we went downstairs, not to the vault with all the old sets in it (which we also visited again), but to an even more secret vault, with lots of other exhibit pieces and Lego memorabilia. There, on a shelf, was a tray with 4 Lego guns on it. However, these were not plastic ones. They were from the wooden era. They also came with little packages of wooden "bullets", and little targets that when shot, revealed strange barbaric faces. Very bizarre. I asked about the plastic gun, but the curator, who has been there for almost 10 years, knew nothing about it (or at least said she didn't :wink: ).

They also had lots more old wooden models, including a giant version of the classic Lego rolling duck (like about 2 feet long), along with some old Lego car models that were actually built by Kjeld Kristiansen when he was 12 years old.

Unfortunately, I did not have my camera with me that time :( .
Robin
Master Poster

Post by Robin »

A couple of pictures from the Lego museum ...

(These are large jpgs, so you can zoom in and get lots of detail)

Robin
Attachments
A display of two of the earliest sets
A display of two of the earliest sets
Some of the oldest stuff in the vault
Some of the oldest stuff in the vault
who
MOC Poster

Post by who »

look up these :

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=746485

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=746487

they both show the plastic guns, one of photos shows the little boxes of modulex bullets for ammo.

this is the start of around 25 photos someone took at the lego museum a few years ago.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=746481

quite the wooden lego collection, wow

i did not see any of the wooden guns in the photos posted on bricklink.

who.
Robin
Master Poster

Post by Robin »

hmmm ... interesting ...

I saw a lot of the stuff in those pictures, at the museum, and in the "second" vault, including the guns. Most of this stuff is no longer on display in the museum per se, but is stored (for now) in this vault.

The guns in one of the brickshelf pictures are clearly, in my opinion and from my memory, the wooden guns that I saw there.

I believe there were 2 black-ish ones, and 2 that had much less paint on them (and may have always been so). I also saw, and handled the targets (as I explained above), as well as the little paper box of red *wooden* bullets.
In this picture, you can clearly see that there are 3 guns there, 2 black ones, plus one plainer one underneath one of the black ones. All are wooden. There are 3 wooden targets, 2 to the left of the guns, and 1 to the right. The one on the left has a "Sambo" black-face figure on it. I handled that one. The face is actually printed on a vertically sliding wooden piece that sits within the outside frame (the part that has "Lego" printed on it). The face is visible through a circular hole in the frame (you can see a bit of shadow on the top right of the face of the right-most target). When you slide the face piece, and perch it in place, a target (printed on the lower end of the sliding piece, below the face), is displayed in the circular window. When you hit the "target", the piece drops back down, and the face is once again displayed.

The bullets are also wooden, not Modulex. All the toys in this area of the display are clearly from the "wooden" era of Lego's history. The next shelf has some plastic brick kits, but those bullets are definitely small wooden pieces.

If you look carefully at the black gun in this picture, you can see that it's a different gun that those in the other picture. The trigger guard's shape is the most obvious difference (the front), but there are others. Also, the surrounding toys here are other early examples of plastic manufacture. But, I never saw this gun. Too bad!

It was interesting to look through these brickshelf pictures once again. I recognize many of the same pieces (old wooden toys, sets, etc.). Even though the museum has been completely revamped and reorganized, I know that I have pictures of the exact same units.