New to the forum?

A place for people at large to discuss items of interest with other people and members of the VLC.

Moderator: VLC Directors

AC
Brick God

Re: New to the forum?

Post by AC »

Well your kids could be like my son. I had to buy his collection back from him. Buying the same lego twice sucks but it would have been worse to see someone else buy it.
TimmyBrick
New Poster

Post by TimmyBrick »

Hi Everyone!

New to the forum but I have met a few of you. I am from Burnaby.

I have always been a lego fan, but only recently have I had the time and the resources to get back into it. I really enjoy the adventure sets, Egypt, arctic, Lego trains, and more recently boats and cabins (or anything earth tone). I am really enjoying coming up with new combinations of sets and being creative with some of the individual bricks that I purchase.

Hope to meet everyone at the VLC meetings!

Josh
Kyler
Brick Deity

Post by Kyler »

Hello Josh, and welcome to the forums.

Our next meeting is scheduled for August 11th. I'll send you a PM with more info later.

- Kyler
Kyler Storm - (not the Gladiator)
D_R_Watson
MOC Poster

Post by D_R_Watson »

Hi Josh,

Welcome. I'm interested to see some of the creations you've come up with along the themes you mentioned, especially the Egyptian and adventure.

Daniel
Towner
New Poster

Post by Towner »

Hey all!

Another AFOL here whose been slowly coming out of my dark age and getting back into building for the first time in 15 year or so. Stumbled across some M-Tron sets for sale by accident, always wanted them as a kid, bought them up and there's been no looking back since.

I would say my building knowledge is fairly basic compared to what I see some of you guys creating hence why I'm branching out and looking to participate more in the community to grow some of my skill sets. Modular's and older city sets seem to be where my attention has been focused but starting to dabble in my own creations but nothing I'm proud enough to share at this point.

Just getting started on my own little city layout which I'm quickly learning that it is a slow and sometimes painful process, but having fun doing so to say the least... and maybe enjoying an adult beverage or 2 in the process...

Look forward to getting out to one of the meetings and getting more involved in the community!

-Adam
jeffrose
MOC Poster

Post by jeffrose »

Welcome to the forum Adam! We're a friendly happy bunch and look forward to meeting you!
Towner wrote:Hey all!

Look forward to getting out to one of the meetings and getting more involved in the community!

-Adam
VLC - Technical Director Since 2018
Owner of: Brick Brains and BricksAndLinks
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

I think you've come to the right spot. It's good to find people that you can "geek out"' with about your hobby. That speak the language and can help you grow. Or as you say, just kick back and have a beer with.

Welcome!
Pierre
VLC Ambassador to TLG & VLC Director

My avatar is Ninjago's Pythor P Chumsworth. YAY! I finally have him! Thank you.
Kyler
Brick Deity

Post by Kyler »

'Looking forward to meeting you on Friday Adam.
EmilyGeekX
Experienced Poster

Post by EmilyGeekX »

Hi!
I'm Emily and I can't wait to build my HP Lego collection. Since I love Star Trek I think my first MOC will have to be Star Trek based ;)
I'm out in Maple Ridge and can't wait to meet everyone on Friday!
Pascal
Brick Overlord

Post by Pascal »

Fantastic! Welcome, EmilyGeekX!
AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

Hey Emily,

Looking forward to meeting you. See you Friday.
Towner
New Poster

Post by Towner »

Hey guys, could someone DM me the meeting details for this week? Would love to try and attend again again. Thanks!
Kyler
Brick Deity

Post by Kyler »

You bet.
Towner wrote:Hey guys, could someone DM me the meeting details for this week? Would love to try and attend again again. Thanks!
MCKetchup
New Poster

Post by MCKetchup »

Hey guys, my name's Joey. Located out in North Van. I have been looking for a site or group such as this one for a long time now, super happy to have found it. I'm 21 and I enjoy building modern military stuff for my own Brikwars army I'm working on, among other things. Would love to meet some of you. Glad to be here!
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

Wow, you play Brikwars and you haven’t found us yet? Welcome! So what type of armies have you built up so far? We have a few who still play, so hopefully you’ll have some worthy opponents soon. The next meeting is Oct 27th (evening) and our membership coordinator will get in touch with you.
Pierre
VLC Ambassador to TLG & VLC Director

My avatar is Ninjago's Pythor P Chumsworth. YAY! I finally have him! Thank you.
nao921
New Poster

Post by nao921 »

Hi all, my name is Lawrence, from the Oakridge area. My favorite build is the architecture theme and generally like small sets over big ones. Will try to make it to the next meet!
Kyler
Brick Deity

Post by Kyler »

Welcome Lawrence and Joey,
The club's January meeting is Saturday, January 27th in North Vancouver.
And the February meeting is Friday, February 16th in Maple Ridge.
Send me a PM if you're interested in attending either.
SurprisingEdge
New Poster

Post by SurprisingEdge »

Hello all,

My name is Derek, and I’m new to the forum. I actually signed up a year ago, but life kind of got in the way, as it sometimes can. I found out about the club at Vancouver Mini Maker Faire last year. I was volunteering there (as I do most years, shame it’s not happening this year) and stopped by to chat at the booth.

As far as my interest in Lego goes, I suppose you could say I’ve been an enthusiast since I was probably 4 or 5, whenever I got my first Lego set. When I was around 12, I spent a good chunk of my “life’s savings” of allowance (I think it was about $60) on a suitcase full of Lego at an auction. We weren’t actually going to be able to stay for the auction, and I was devastated, but my parents asked the auctioneer to bid for us. When we came back later, I was ecstatic to found out I’d “won” the Lego! That suitcase of Lego moved with us from house to house for years. When I moved away to university, it stayed with my parents until I’d finished school, stopped moving around so much, and (somewhat) settled down. I still have the Lego, though the suitcase fell apart (and the collection outgrew it) a few years ago.

These days, my interest in Lego sets slants pretty heavily towards science. I’m madly in love with the Saturn V, and built a wall shelf for it styled after the mobile launcher platform: https://imgur.com/Bi2g94u
It uses a few 3D printed pieces for support and realism, though I know many consider that sacrilege. ;) Some other favourite sets of mine:
Mars Curiosity Rover
Research Institute (aka Women in Science)
Women of NASA
Apollo 13 astronauts (and Gene Kranz) (an unofficial set)
London skyline

I love most of the architecture sets (particularly the ones from London, I have a soft spot for that place) but I am on a budget. :)

Most of my freeform building these days is either when I visit my nephews, or when I can manage to get a few like-minded friends over for a Lego night. That doesn’t happen as often as I’d like though, which is one of the reasons I’m interested in the club.
KenmoreThompson
MOC Poster

Post by KenmoreThompson »

Hey Derek, welcome to the forum.

And may I say, that that is an AWESOME Saturn V display. It looks like the trusses below are printed, but is the rest of the platform Lego? Either way it looks great!
SurprisingEdge
New Poster

Post by SurprisingEdge »

KenmoreThompson wrote:Hey Derek, welcome to the forum.

And may I say, that that is an AWESOME Saturn V display. It looks like the trusses below are printed, but is the rest of the platform Lego? Either way it looks great!
Thanks!
Just about, yeah. The trusses are definitely the most obvious printed part. (Each side printed in about 5 pieces and glued with acetone.) Anything I could dream up doing with Lego just wouldn't have looked right.
It's also held on the wall with 3 printed Lego-compatible bits: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/lewis ... wmount.png
And the little shelves the lander and splashed-down capsule are on are 3d-printed too. I designed and printed all the 3D printed bits myself.

It hasn't fallen off the wall yet (even with one of our cats occasionally getting on there and stealing astronauts) so I call it a success :D
KenmoreThompson
MOC Poster

Post by KenmoreThompson »

SurprisingEdge wrote: It's also held on the wall with 3 printed Lego-compatible bits: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/lewis ... wmount.png
Wow! I would have totally expected a 3d printed part to be too weak to do that! That's great!
Kyler
Brick Deity

Post by Kyler »

KenmoreThompson wrote:Hey Derek, welcome to the forum.

Indeed, that's an impressive shelf / stand / MOC. wow

Sorry to hear you can't make our May meeting.
Our June meeting will probably be the 15th or 22nd. Send me another e-mail mid-May if I haven't sent you a date yet. :wink:
JamesH
Master Poster

Post by JamesH »

Welcome Derek,

That display is impressive. Is the rocket held down at all? I'd be worried using those light switches in the morning (pre-coffee) or after coming home from the pub :) .
SurprisingEdge
New Poster

Post by SurprisingEdge »

JamesH wrote:Welcome Derek,

That display is impressive. Is the rocket held down at all? I'd be worried using those light switches in the morning (pre-coffee) or after coming home from the pub :) .
Haha. It's held down by gravity alone, so yeah, using those light switches in either of those states of mind would be dangerous! Thankfully, they're for things that nearly never get used! :lol:

I've considered adding some kind of support to hold the rocket vertical, just-in-case (in case of cats, mostly), but it's been fine so far. Plus, if it's only gravity, I can "simulate" launches easier. ;)
Kyler
Brick Deity

Post by Kyler »

SurprisingEdge wrote:
JamesH wrote:Welcome Derek,

Haha. It's held down by gravity alone, so yeah, using those light switches in either of those states of mind would be dangerous! Thankfully, they're for things that nearly never get used! :lol:

I've considered adding some kind of support to hold the rocket vertical, just-in-case (in case of cats, mostly), but it's been fine so far. Plus, if it's only gravity, I can "simulate" launches easier. ;)
LOL :lol:
We do live in an earthquake zone. :|