New to the forum?

A place for people at large to discuss items of interest with other people and members of the VLC.

Moderator: VLC Directors

Diana
Master Poster

Re: New to the forum?

Post by Diana »

Welcome, Jason! Look forward to meeting you this Saturday! :)

Diana
(dkan)
Kyler
Brick Deity

Post by Kyler »

Hi everyone,
Kyler here. I met a bunch of you back in April, and while I was away (in Europe) last month, I would definitely come to another meeting (if someone will PM me the details).

Like Jason, I too am in North Vancouver. While it would have been fun to check out the Maker Fare, I just couldn't bring myself to head indoors on such a lovely day (honestly I had too many projects around the yard that have been waiting for good weather). However, I do plan to check out Jason's ball factory build at the Guildford Library on the 27th. I plan to make a day of it (Surrey being a reasonable distance from North Vancouver) and visit the VLC's Surrey Museum exhibit and maybe even the White Rock exhibit, all on the same day.
Kyler Storm - (not the Gladiator)
AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

That is a lot of driving to do. Guildford and White Rock are almost as far apart as you can get in Surrey. Should be a fun day and you have the Surrey Museum half way between. Let us know what you think of the displays. :D
Diana
Master Poster

Post by Diana »

Kyler wrote:Hi everyone,
Kyler here. I met a bunch of you back in April, and while I was away (in Europe) last month, I would definitely come to another meeting (if someone will PM me the details).
Hi Kyler, I PM'd you.

Diana
TroopaDee
Master Poster

Post by TroopaDee »

I've been around for a few months, and AC did send me details to a few meetings but I was quite busy during the school year and unable to attend. I wouldn't mind going to the meetings during the summer if I could get the info for that please!
Diana
Master Poster

Post by Diana »

TroopaDee wrote:I've been around for a few months, and AC did send me details to a few meetings but I was quite busy during the school year and unable to attend. I wouldn't mind going to the meetings during the summer if I could get the info for that please!
Hi TroopaDee, I sent you a private message regarding our meetings. Please go to "User Control Panel" and click the "Private Messages" tab to view your inbox. Thank you!

Diana
sinc823
New Poster

Post by sinc823 »

Hello,

My name is Shan and I'm relatively new to collecting lego
Currently I am building mostly modular buildings.
I also am getting some Christmas Lego since Christmas is coming up and I get really excited whenever I see Christmassy lego( can't wait for the gingerbread house!)
I also have the Simpsons series as well as some random Lego like ghostbusters, the fairground mixer and Ferris wheel!
I'm sure my next buy will be either the Tumbler or the temple of arjitzu.

I hope to learn more about Lego and get some more information on how to start creating my own Lego soon:)

That's it's for now, thank you!
Hamslice
Element King

Post by Hamslice »

Welcome,
It sounds like your on the right path.
Building your own mocs is all about trial and error. If you have ideas or themes in mind thats a good starting point to start practicing. Check Flickr.com, just search lego or lego in the groups section for ideas and photos of what others have made.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Cheers
Keith
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

Welcome Shan. I'm partial to the Temple of Airjitzu, not for the Ninjago theme or mini figures but for the Japanese style architecture. As you enjoy the modulars, that might be the way you want to go.

The rerelease of the Winter Village Toy Shop is a really nice build, I have two of the previous version, so that I can enclose the building or alternately, one of our members made it into a three story building which gave it a different visual feel. Buying multiples of sets, I think is one of the easiest ways to start creating your own Lego creations, as you'll have the correct colour palette for modifying and then eventually creating your own sets. Creator sets are also really good for that.

The Tumbler to me it's just largely a lot of haphazard black plates with a sweet Heath Ledger version Joker minifig.
Pierre
VLC Ambassador to TLG & VLC Director

My avatar is Ninjago's Pythor P Chumsworth. YAY! I finally have him! Thank you.
kodakcole
Experienced Poster

Post by kodakcole »

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Nicole and I have recently emerged from my dark ages while playing with my young son's Duplo. In the past 2 months I have purchased numerous Lego sets and have been creating MOC's every spare chance (which is not a lot of time when you have a toddler!) I am extremely excited to have re-discovered my passion for Lego and I can't wait to share it with other adult fans!

I live in South Surrey having moved here from the Okanagan about 9 months ago.

My favourite Lego themes are Creator, Holiday sets, Elves, and any type of modular building. Although my favourite thing to do is create MOC's, so I usually buy sets based on a few coveted pieces. I also take advantage of the pick-a-brick wall when it happens to have some pieces that I want.

I am really into sorting and organizing my Lego, and I'm always eager to see how other enthusiasts store and display their collections.

I have a flickr account if anyone is interested, but I can't figure out how to post a link? I am always looking for other AFOL's to follow.

Can't wait to get to know everyone! And I am planning on attending the upcoming meeting :)

-Nicole
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

Welcome Nicole, please do post your Flickr account with your LEGO MOCs. Just copy and paste the URL into a post. A word of advice. Don't try to be a completionist with the Modulars, that's a recipe for spending a lot of money. Do look at the instruction manuals online for modulars you don't have and learn from those.
Pierre

Lettuce
Brick Overlord

Post by Lettuce »

kodakcole wrote:I have a flickr account if anyone is interested, but I can't figure out how to post a link? I am always looking for other AFOL's to follow.
Is this it https://www.flickr.com/photos/136037764@N03/
Rhymes with Lettuce
Diana
Master Poster

Post by Diana »

Welcome, Nicole! Glad to see your forum registration was successful. See you this Friday! :)

Diana
kodakcole
Experienced Poster

Post by kodakcole »

davethebest wrote:
kodakcole wrote:I have a flickr account if anyone is interested, but I can't figure out how to post a link? I am always looking for other AFOL's to follow.
Yes! I see how you did it now, thank you so much :)
kodakcole
Experienced Poster

Post by kodakcole »

chump wrote:Welcome Nicole, please do post your Flickr account with your LEGO MOCs. Just copy and paste the URL into a post. A word of advice. Don't try to be a completionist with the Modulars, that's a recipe for spending a lot of money. Do look at the instruction manuals online for modulars you don't have and learn from those.
Thanks Pierre! I made the mistake of looking back through some sets that have been released in the past and now I wish that I hadn't ;) They sure do get expensive once they retire! There are a couple that I really want, but only if I stumble upon a crazy deal.
kodakcole
Experienced Poster

Post by kodakcole »

dkan wrote:Welcome, Nicole! Glad to see your forum registration was successful. See you this Friday! :)

Diana
Thanks for your help Diana! See you at the meeting for sure
Kyler
Brick Deity

Post by Kyler »

kodakcole wrote:
davethebest wrote:
Yes! I see how you did it now, thank you so much :)
Wow. For someone who just emerged from their "dark ages" you've done some fabulous work.
See/meet you Friday.
Kyler Storm - (not the Gladiator)
kodakcole
Experienced Poster

Post by kodakcole »

Yes! I see how you did it now, thank you so much :)[/quote]
Wow. For someone who just emerged from their "dark ages" you've done some fabulous work.
See/meet you Friday.[/quote]

Thanks so much! I kinda just create these things as I go with no planning, and I really don't use any special building techniques yet. I can't wait to learn some tricks and techniques from you all :)
Saarstar
MOC Poster

Post by Saarstar »

Heyoo Everyone!

I'm quite ecstatic to finally get around to introducing myself here on the club forum! I've never truly lost touch with Lego since my childhood, although I'd say I've only considered myself an AFOL for about a year or two. I'm quite new to Vancouver having moved from an itty bitty ski town in SE BC to attend university and because of this I can see joining the VLC would be a fantastic way to meet new people!

I've been casually building mocs whenever I have some free time from school work but see myself getting more active this summer as I won't be returning home, and may look into getting my entire Lego collection brought out here.

I look forward to delving into some great discussions and would love to take the opportunity to drop in on a meeting!

:wink:
Alex S. 8)
AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

Welcome to the VLC forum. It would be great to have you come out to a meeting. This is an exciting time for AFOLs in the area. I will send you a PM (personal message) letting you know when our next meeting is and where.

Have you heard of BrickCan yet? http://www.brickcan.com This is going to be the first AFOL convention in the province and it is going to be a blast. Hope you can make it.
Saarstar
MOC Poster

Post by Saarstar »

Thanks AC! Looking forward to that message.

Funny you've mentioned that since I've actually already registered, so I'll definitely be there! First time con for me too and I plan on bringing some mocs, so I'm extremely excited. No clue what to expect aside from what I've seen from some flickr photo pools from BrickCon.
Alex S. 8)
AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

Well when it comes to a con just expect to hang out with some great likeminded people, and everything else is a bonus. Ok so here will be a lot of bonus.
Malfortune
General Poster

Post by Malfortune »

Hey guys!

My name is Erik Madsen, I'm a filmmaker and LEGO enthusiast from Surrey BC and I'm just getting back to a point where I'm able to indulge in LEGO again in a big way :) I'm a huge nerd, loving everything from Harry Potter to Star Wars to LOTR to more and more and more and this year I'm finally embracing that fact. I'm a model train buff at heart I've worked in 4 scales including our glorious L-Gauge. My passion in LEGO is city building, terrain crafting and of course LEGO train MOCs. I'm slowly stealing back my LEGO from my younger brother and am starting to grow my collection again through bricklink :) I'm hoping to be an avid member of VLC and would love to meet everyone here!
I've just started a Flickr account to show off some MOCs, feel free to let me know what you think!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/140213133@N02

Anyways thank you for being amazing and I hope to nerd out with you guys someday.

Keep on building,

Erik 8)
Allons-y!
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

Malfortune wrote:terrain crafting
Do you mean.... landscaping? Then you'll be very welcome. :)
Pierre

AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

Great to here from you Erik. not sure how much you know about us but we are a club of adult Lego fans that meet monthly. I have sent you a Personal Message (PM) letting you know when and where the next meeting is.