Vancouver LEGO store

A place for people at large to discuss items of interest with other people and members of the VLC.

Moderator: VLC Directors

timtosino
Element King

Re: Vancouver LEGO store

Post by timtosino »

It's not going to be Robin but Erik Varszegi.
-Tim Tosino
Lugnet #606
ILTCO #101
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tim_tosino/
brankell5566
MOC Poster

Post by brankell5566 »

timtosino wrote:It's not going to be Robin but Erik Varszegi.
Ooohhh wow . The guy that built the MASSIVE LEGO SW Venator Star Destroyer? Can't wait to meet him!
Hamslice
Element King

Post by Hamslice »

I wanna go SO BAD!... stupid Squamish be so far away. :-x
Gumby
Master Poster

Post by Gumby »

Hamslice wrote:I wanna go SO BAD!... stupid Squamish be so far away. :-x
I live about 5 minutes away by car, and I still haven't gone...
-Bryan
KNight
General Poster

Post by KNight »

timtosino wrote:This is the PAB wall as of Fri

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 2149_n.jpg
Oooooo, thanks! It looks bigger than the Seattle store from what I remember......

Mike
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

I overheard on the first day someone exclaiming that "It's so much better than the Chicago store!". Not that I have a basis of comparison, I've only been to Bellevue, Downtown Disney Orlando and Downtown Disney Anaheim. To me it looked like a regular Lego store, not like the huge Imagination Centers at Disney.

Someone here wrote that that the new Oakridge store was "small, crowded and the PaB wall was lame". So it's all in the eye of the beholder.

Hopefully it will live up to your expectations!
Pierre
VLC Ambassador to TLG & VLC Director

My avatar is Ninjago's Pythor P Chumsworth. YAY! I finally have him! Thank you.
KNight
General Poster

Post by KNight »

Well at this point, I'm willing to take anything! xD Calgary is just a little too out of the way, and not having to cross the border is a nice bonus too.

Mike
brankell5566
MOC Poster

Post by brankell5566 »

chump wrote:Someone here wrote that that the new Oakridge store was "small, crowded and the PaB wall was lame". So it's all in the eye of the beholder.
:oops: It was me. Well it is true though, IMHO. But I've only been to the Bellevue, and Downtown Disney LEGO store, so who am I to judge?
Platypus
Brick God

Post by Platypus »

Van's PaB wall is smaller than NYC, Bellevue and Portland. The store footprint is also ambler than the other three I have been to. but size doesn't really matter, right? After all, you can get a giant box of Mega blocks for $50...

What bugs me is paying $20/cup instead of $15. That hurts cause PaB is already expensive.
David Gagnon - (AKA Daveed or Platypus)
JayKay
Master Poster

Post by JayKay »

The NYC Pab is huge but not that much better than Oakridge. I was at the NYC yesterday and they ran out of large cups. They had loaner cups to fill but they dumped you pieces into a bag at the till. Not a satisfying trip to that store. I still bought 2 large cups worth. They also had grab bags of random Lego for $7.99 each. The pieces filled over half a large cup.
Platypus
Brick God

Post by Platypus »

That's too bad. When I was there in 2010 for the grand opening, the selection on the wall was brilliant. I filled 10 cups and If I had had a larger backpack and less than 2 weeks left on the road I would have taken 20.
David Gagnon - (AKA Daveed or Platypus)
beethead
MOC Poster

Post by beethead »

Platypus wrote:Van's PaB wall is smaller than NYC, Bellevue and Portland. The store footprint is also ambler than the other three I have been to. but size doesn't really matter, right? After all, you can get a giant box of Mega blocks for $50...

What bugs me is paying $20/cup instead of $15. That hurts cause PaB is already expensive.
Yeah I agree, that $5 difference hurts. That's the main reason I'm resisting filling a PAB cup. I'd like to see if they put out any mixed bags up for sale like the other stores.
Hamslice
Element King

Post by Hamslice »

Never being to one before, I thought I was great. Spent 2 and half hours there yesterday afternoon. Filled 2 cups to the brim. The store is small and very populated but i found everything every easy to get too still, And with the staff wearing those aprons there easy to spot if you have a question. the atmosphere was pretty cool too. Talked to a few people from out of town, that wished they had one in there town.

I do agree that the PAB wall was repetitive, I asked a few staff if it will change, and they seem to think so. There will be more options to come in the next month,
Maple
General Poster

Post by Maple »

Remember the ImprovEverywhere, Best Buy Prank (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgUIbPfh ... ion_217640...

I just keep seeing all these people in Apple Genius t-shirts walking into the Lego store and starting to help people... :mrgreen:

I could see David doing this, he has that theatre background...

Just a thought... :wink:
jadaleppky
New Poster

Post by jadaleppky »

I've only been to four other Lego stores: Legoland California, Rockefeller Center, Sherway Gardens Toronto, and Farview Mall Toronto. Legoland was pretty cool, and is really a few stores in one park (The Lego Club House being my favorite for it's bulk bricks), but the other stores were pretty average, and the layout of the Rockefeller Center location is awkward. Even so, I get very happy just being in one of them.

I was at the Grand Openings for Sherway Gardens Toronto and for Farview Mall Toronto (and dragged my boyfriend along with me to sit out front for two hours before the doors opened every single day). I plan to be at the Grand Opening for Oakridge, but I can't make it Friday. Is anyone able to help me out with getting a t-shirt from the first day of the Grand Opening?

http://www.vlc.ca/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2727
brankell5566
MOC Poster

Post by brankell5566 »

Don't know if my mom is willing to drive me to Okaridge and back 3 days in a row. :( I really want all 3 exclusive items and this would be my first LEGO Store Grand Opening ceremony I will go to.
RadStar
Master Poster

Post by RadStar »

If u want all 3 that bad, go take the bus & skytrain yourself dude
Roger the Deaf Guy
My Moc Page
brankell5566
MOC Poster

Post by brankell5566 »

RadStar wrote:If u want all 3 that bad, go take the bus & skytrain yourself dude
Good point. Very close walk to the skytrain station from my house. But also forgot that I have school on Friday. :? haha

EDIT: I have been granted permission to travel to Oakridge by Skytrain early Saturday and Sunday morning. :lol:
Northof49
General Poster

Post by Northof49 »

Well I guess I will see some of you on Saturday. I got the day off so I plan to be there early. Must have that mini lego store set. Aside from that I think it will be fun to be there with other like-minded enthusiasts. :)
Bricked since the 70's
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

The mini-store seems to be the most popular one that people are after, even though the parts seemingly can be sourced online from fairly easy to obtain parts and isn't unique to the Vancouver Store.

Anybody have an idea if the t-shirts are child sized or adult sized? Or a split of both?

They were doing the Monthly build there today. First Tuesday of the month. It was a tulip flower. I think.
Pierre

TheBrickChick
New Poster

Post by TheBrickChick »

Hey everybody,

I am heading off the island and into Vancouver tomorrow afternoon. I will be at the build all three days helping out and hope to meet a bunch of you! :-)

I have spent the week sorting LEGO when I should have been studying, and cannot wait to get out of the house and help build that droid. Artoo is a fun build, and Erik is a great guy. We are sure to have an enjoyable weekend!

See you all Friday morning!!!

Jenn
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

I count about 33 volunteers with about a third of them VLC members.
Pierre

Slogghead
Experienced Poster

Post by Slogghead »

So the first 300 people in line...what time are you guys going to line up for?

I can only make it to Saturday...I want the mini store and the TC-14 minifig for Star Wars days!

Oh and if any admins are going to be in the lineup on Saturday I will have my $10 for club membership as I did not have the cash for the meeting I was at...
"I assure you, Lord Vader, my men are working as fast as they can." "Perhaps I can find new ways to motivate them."
http://www.flickr.com/photos/slogghead
Brian
MOC Poster

Post by Brian »

Just so you know what i was told, there will be no other promotions with the grand opening weekend, so no TC-14 minifig for may the fourth or revenge of the fifth. only the shirts, stores, and minifigs.

If you want the TC-14 place your order online.

Brian
Slogghead
Experienced Poster

Post by Slogghead »

Brian wrote:Just so you know what i was told, there will be no other promotions with the grand opening weekend, so no TC-14 minifig for may the fourth or revenge of the fifth. only the shirts, stores, and minifigs.

If you want the TC-14 place your order online.

Brian
I called the store today and they will have the Star Wars exclusive as well...so spend $75 or more on Star Wars sets and you will get the minifig as well as the grand opening offer (as long as you are in the first 300 in line)
"I assure you, Lord Vader, my men are working as fast as they can." "Perhaps I can find new ways to motivate them."
http://www.flickr.com/photos/slogghead