2004 NMRA National Show

A place for people at large to discuss items of interest with other people and members of the VLC.

Moderator: VLC Directors

Thomas Garrison
New Poster

2004 NMRA National Show

Post by Thomas Garrison »

About this show. . .

Every year the NMRA (National Model Railroading Association) picks a different city for its national convention (last year was Toronto, next year will be Cincinnati). Associated with the convention is a train show. In 2004 the convention and show will be in Seattle. This is the first time for many years that they have come to the Northwest, and I wouldn't expect them back for quite a while. This show is different from other shows---it will get national exposure (at least within the model railroding community), and it's not a paying gig.

PNLTC has secured a display space at the show. We'd like to invite any VLC members who want to show (train-related) stuff to come on down and participate (or send stuff with someone else).

The show is July 9, 10, and 11 at the Seahawks Exhibition Center in Seattle. Setup is July 8, and must be complete by 10am July 9 (of course, discretely walking later in with a case of rolling stock would probably be fine.) Details
http://www.nmra.org/convention/trainshow.html#Schedule

Our idea for this show is to present a display that's more "realistic" than "fanciful". In particular, Rick Clark is going to work up a bunch of small comparison posters showing prototypes and the MOCs built from them (he made a nice example with one of his locos---now I just have to persuade him to post it online somewhere).

I volunteered to draw up the layout. If you're interested in participating, please shoot me an e-mail (tws@morfydd.net) as soon as possible, but no later than May 10, indicating how much rolling stock (in inches, or your unit of length of choice) you plan to bring, how many baseplates (or modules) of urban, suburban, industrial, and rural buildings you plan to bring, and any mountains, bridges, roundhouses, etc.

Thanks,
TWS Garrison
--
TWS Garrison
DeGobbi
Brick Deity

Post by DeGobbi »

Here is a layout of a past layout we did in surrey , we did the entire layout as a prototype for 1900-1920s in the greater vancouver area . Mayne of the buildings modeled we from real pictures of the real buildings

The train heads that where not nessecarily lego fans where amazed at the detail of it . also the track layout as well with the automated reversing loops. When going for prototypical layout , less track is more really. Leaves more room for buildings , forests mountains .. ect ect.

Pictures from the show are here too

some ideas to get you started :)
VLC Loud mouth
Dave De Gobbi
Dj_Max
Master Poster

Post by Dj_Max »

So, what's happening here?
Any takers?

Dean, I know you like the train aspect, what's your view?
Cheers!

Marc B
VLC President 2005-06
VLC Archivist 2004-05
8)
TFM
Element King

Post by TFM »

Dj_Max wrote:So, what's happening here?
Any takers?

Dean, I know you like the train aspect, what's your view?
Sorry Marc, what is it you want to do?

We destoryed the above layout.
8) TFM -- ABS addiction is a terrible thing... to waste.
Dj_Max
Master Poster

Post by Dj_Max »

Do we want to participate?
If so, who would want to take on this one?
Cheers!

Marc B
VLC President 2005-06
VLC Archivist 2004-05
8)
DeGobbi
Brick Deity

Post by DeGobbi »

that post about the surrey layout was for Thomas , not for us marc , i'm not rebuilding that ! too big ! :P

I'm pretty sure i will not be attending this one though . due to work , and personal life.
VLC Loud mouth
Dave De Gobbi
Thomas Garrison
New Poster

Post by Thomas Garrison »

Update: earlier I asked for responses by May 10, but now I'm extending that to June 10.

(I'm having trouble getting responses out of anyone in PNLTC who didn't come to the organizational meeting in April. . .and my Internet access isn't going to be very good for the next week or two anyway.)

TWS Garrison
--
TWS Garrison
Dj_Max
Master Poster

Post by Dj_Max »

I sorta figured we wouldn't be doing THAT layout again.

I just wanted to get some responses out for Thomas.
Let's not leave him hanging, either we participate or we don't.

One way or another, let's get him somes answers.

Cheers!

Marc B
VLC President 2005-06
VLC Archivist 2004-05
8)