Lego pricing over the years.

A place for people at large to discuss items of interest with other people and members of the VLC.

Moderator: VLC Directors

Hamslice
Element King

Lego pricing over the years.

Post by Hamslice »

Hi all,
Ive been collecting Lego since i was a kid. Now I'm in my adult hood, and wanting to explain my collection. Ive noticed that prices are really high these days compared to when i was kid or even a teenager. I know there is inflation over the years but still seems high.
I remember a few years ago Lego reporting they were in financial trouble.
I guess my question is this, Is Lego just expensive in Canada or has Lego doubled there pricing to cover losses and loss of business?
Just wanna make sure im not missing something so i don't over pay for It when i Start to buy some of the bigger sets.

Cheers
Keith
soundwave
Brick Deity

Re: Lego pricing over the years.

Post by soundwave »

If you are comparing the difference in prices in Canada vs the U.S. , it has been pretty consistent pricing gap for a very long time. Smaller sets have always been 10-20% less in U.S., medium sets 20-35% and large 35-50% less. Regardless of the economy, dollar exchange rate, or Lego's sales in general. Although in the last year it appears they are starting to close the gap a little bit.
The biggest difference you will notice is the Licsensed factor. We did have any licsensed sets when we were kids. No you can get Star Wars, Disney, Harry Potter etc. Lego has to pay a premium for these and these sets will be the most expensive. The best value for peice per dollar will be usually be the creator sets and non licsensed sets within Lego's brand.
There was a time when Lego was in the red and their sales were awful (often reffered to as the "Jack Stone" era) This was around the time I came back into Lego. Lego produced more supply then demand and as a result there were deals, sales, and clearences that led to some great scores. Lego has completely turned this around and has become good at predicting and gauging demand for certain sets and lines. Just ask any small retailer how hard it is to get any decent quantities of high demand sets. You can still count on the seasonal sales after Christmas as larger retailers shrink their toy sections, but they are getting smaller and less in savings.
It was also during this "Jack Stone" era that the Star Wars line was launched and probably saved Lego as it has become one of their most successful moves. It is also why you are seeing more and more licenses like Lord of the Rings, Marvel, and another 10 years of Star Wars.
Hopefully some if the above info is useful to you.
Shane Weckstrom

flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/43769067@N08/

Save a Tree, Eat a Beaver
Hamslice
Element King

Post by Hamslice »

ya this helps a lot thanks.

I think I need to take a trip to the states when i want some of the sets.
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

Hamslice wrote:ya this helps a lot thanks.

I think I need to take a trip to the states when i want some of the sets.
For the big sets, yes, cross border is the way to go, even better if you're making the trip already. Or ship to a parcel service in Point Roberts when there's free shipping and a sale. Calculate, as if you'll pay taxes (HST) and be thankful if you don't have to.

As some one mentioned, another Lego Store may be going in to Alderwood Mall(?) which is a little closer than Bellevue, so it shaves off a bit of time.

Unfortunately we don't seem to have reached that threshold for what people are willing to pay. Licenses, quality of product and nostalgia all seem to be factors.
Pierre
VLC Ambassador to TLG & VLC Director

My avatar is Ninjago's Pythor P Chumsworth. YAY! I finally have him! Thank you.
Hamslice
Element King

Post by Hamslice »

I have family with a mail box in Spokane, does anyone buy online from some of retailer stores and get the product shipped out?
Or just online like amazon and ebay?
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

Hamslice wrote:I have family with a mail box in Spokane, does anyone buy online from some of retailer stores and get the product shipped out?
Or just online like amazon and ebay?
Barnes and noble every so often has a 30% coupon off one item.

ToysRUs, Walmart, Target have all had varying levels of deals but watching out for them can be a pain and time consuming task. FBTB used to have a good Sales/Deals section, but I rarely go on there any more, so I don't know about now. ToysNBricks is a site that quite a few people use for sale watching. He's a local kid. Although, he's probably technically an adult now. Brickset does too.

However, like with all of these sale sites, things sell out fast, so you usually have to be quick.
Pierre
VLC Ambassador to TLG & VLC Director

My avatar is Ninjago's Pythor P Chumsworth. YAY! I finally have him! Thank you.
RadStar
Master Poster

Post by RadStar »

Craigslist is a good way to score deals sometimes.

Just now someone posted 4 sets around 50% off two alien conquests and 2 star wars. No boxes, but still inside plastic baggies.

Pretty good for any Sci Fi LEGO fan.

Cheers
Roger the Deaf Guy
My Moc Page
mattybrick
General Poster

Post by mattybrick »

Ah good old Jack Stone! I heard as well that before aquiring the Star Wars license that Lego was in finacial trouble and that Star Wars pulled them up and out of ruin. Regardless it is good to see the line growing, Marvel, DC, LotR, all are looking to be great lines. It is sad though that yes.. the larger sets have the biggest price difference. I am not sure why that is.
Last edited by mattybrick on Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

I for one feel it was Spongebob that took Lego from financial ruin. rotflol
Andrew
Brick Overlord

Post by Andrew »

Actually I've read it was bionicles that took them out of the red,and then the grandson of ole kirk christason to take over the reigns of the lego co. again and then move all the production facilities too checoslivkia ,mexico and china.-instead of denmark ,USA,and switzerland,like evry other toy manufacturer produce in a third world country and your margins should go up. Be glad you dont live in australia they get really ripped off in prices.

,Andrew :wink:
Lego trains are just the best!