Woot!

A place for people at large to discuss items of interest with other people and members of the VLC.

Moderator: VLC Directors

TFM
Element King

Woot!

Post by TFM »

I just got a classic 10030 Imperial Star Destroyer™

:wow: In CLASSIC grays! Woot. I had a friend pick it up at the new LEGO store! :wow:

I wish I had two... The bags of dark and light gray! The box is HUGE. Just HUGE!

It's not funny how big the box is, and it's full, chock full! :shock:
8) TFM -- ABS addiction is a terrible thing... to waste.
J1A3L5
MOC Poster

Post by J1A3L5 »

I have a question for you. What was the instruction booklet like? Or even better, do you have a pic of the instruction book?

I'm interested, because I have one from the very original release of 10030. Apparently they made a change to the book design since then because it fell apart easily. (I didn't have a lot of trouble, but I was very careful with it, and can understand that if it was used much it could very easily come apart.) So I'm interested in seeing what the updated one is like. :)

And congrats on getting the set!
TFM
Element King

Post by TFM »

J1A3L5 wrote:I have a question for you. What was the instruction booklet like? Or even better, do you have a pic of the instruction book?

I'm interested, because I have one from the very original release of 10030. Apparently they made a change to the book design since then because it fell apart easily. (I didn't have a lot of trouble, but I was very careful with it, and can understand that if it was used much it could very easily come apart.) So I'm interested in seeing what the updated one is like. :)

And congrats on getting the set!
No idea yet. It's still skrink wrapped... :p
J1A3L5
MOC Poster

Post by J1A3L5 »

Ah, okay, well when you do please let me know! Thanks in advance. :)
TFM
Element King

Post by TFM »

J1A3L5 wrote:Ah, okay, well when you do please let me know! Thanks in advance. :)
I just looked at my manual.

It's bound with a metal ring binding. It's appears to be solid.

It's pretty heavy.

How is yours bound?
J1A3L5
MOC Poster

Post by J1A3L5 »

TFM wrote:I just looked at my manual.

It's pretty heavy.

How is yours bound?
Mine is pretty heavy too, but it isn't bound nearly as well. A pic of the edge of it can be seen here. As you can see, it looks like it could fall apart easily. It feels like it too as you flip the pages. They even sometimes make that crackling sound as you move them. :?

I was interested, because people have asked LEGO about this and recieved different responses. One person I know of got a new style one sent for free. Another person I know got told it would cost $20 USD to replace it.

Ps: Make sure you are careful building it so you don't end up with a case of this.
TFM
Element King

Post by TFM »

J1A3L5 wrote:
TFM wrote:I just looked at my manual.

It's pretty heavy.

How is yours bound?
Mine is pretty heavy too, but it isn't bound nearly as well. A pic of the edge of it can be seen here. As you can see, it looks like it could fall apart easily. It feels like it too as you flip the pages. They even sometimes make that crackling sound as you move them. :?

I was interested, because people have asked LEGO® about this and recieved different responses. One person I know of got a new style one sent for free. Another person I know got told it would cost $20 USD to replace it.
Ya, the manual has to cost a bit to make. It's full colour and huge...

I can see how the original manual can come apart. It's so heavy that it would pull it's self appart... The new style is much better I think.
J1A3L5 wrote:Ps: Make sure you are careful building it so you don't end up with a case of this.
That looks nasty. None of the beams are damaged are they?
J1A3L5
MOC Poster

Post by J1A3L5 »

Nope, non damaged but it was very hard to recreate properly. I almost took half of it apart and just started over. The magnets just aren't really strong enough to hold the bottom halfs up if they're bumped. I find that I'll push it back up and the next day it will be back down. As you can see, the middle set of magnets pulled right off. The whole model was heavy enough to snap open the beam connections. That really surprised me. Also, I had more minor problems around the engines. My advice is just double-check any critical step during the building - You really don't want to be even one pin out of place.

Ps: I see somehow you got to the pic, but the forum seems to automatically add the (R)'s after LEGO so it seemed to do that in the 'LEGO' in my folder name...