The "I AM A NEW AFOL" experience, can you relate?

A place for people at large to discuss items of interest with other people and members of the VLC.

Moderator: VLC Directors

Bricksky
Brick Overlord

The "I AM A NEW AFOL" experience, can you relate?

Post by Bricksky »

Article about a recently new AFOL and his experience: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/2 ... 54422.html

Although I don't build in public, I definitely can relate to some of this... as I too am a fairly recent AFOL, about 16 months new now...

;)
AC
Brick God

Re: The "I AM A NEW AFOL" experience, can you relate?

Post by AC »

The thing about the author of this article is that he seems to assume the worst of people. I think the hobby and the art of using Lego as a medium has come a long way in the public eye. Those that are critical often have insecurities and need to find fault with others. For those of us ,me included, need to realize that there are a lot more people out there that think good of the hobby and art than we may think. For those that laugh or mock well, I kind of feel bad for them. :D

That's my 2 cents. :D
Bricksky
Brick Overlord

Post by Bricksky »

AC wrote:The thing about the author of this article is that he seems to assume the worst of people. I think the hobby and the art of using Lego as a medium has come a long way in the public eye. Those that are critical often have insecurities and need to find fault with others. For those of us ,me included, need to realize that there are a lot more people out there that think good of the hobby and art than we may think. For those that laugh or mock well, I kind of feel bad for them. :D

That's my 2 cents. :D
Interesting, I didn't read it as being too critical or negative, but rather humorously insightful.

I definitely agree that this as a good hobby, albeit an unusual one for an adult, and therefore misunderstood by some...
Andrew
Brick Overlord

Post by Andrew »

My mom was just staying over,stays downstairs in the "lego"room,hard to stuff the hide a bed out next to the lego.My Mom was talking to my wife today saying that my wife encourages me because she buys the odd set for me.I am in serious need of a years worth of sorting but I'm an adult ,I can own as much lego as I want.
I do have to be more of a builder instead of a collector,and the time factor with a young family is at a premium.
I've heard the responses from the public,that your just a guy that hasnt grown up yet,and that your playing with toys.I think lego is still a toy but if you have enough pieces you can build anything.Glorious ocean liners ,detailed cities,science fiction scenes.Its a great medium to work with you can do anything you want,be as creative as you want.
look on flickr at the 11 piece challenge,some great terrific stuff.
keep on building!,Andrew
Lego trains are just the best!
Bricksky
Brick Overlord

Post by Bricksky »

Andrew wrote:...if you have enough pieces you can build anything.Glorious ocean liners ,detailed cities,science fiction scenes.Its a great medium to work with you can do anything you want,be as creative as you want.
look on flickr at the 11 piece challenge,some great terrific stuff.
keep on building!,Andrew
Interesting that you mention having enough pieces enables you to build anything, and then you reference a site specifically geared towards building MOC's with precisely 11 pieces.
rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol

E11even: http://www.flickr.com/groups/e11even/

I don't know if you build anything SPACE related, but if you do want to consolodate a bunch of those parts into a single MOC, then I would suggest you join and build for this group: http://www.flickr.com/groups/the-shipyard/ and build some SHIP's

SHIP stands for "Seriously Huge Investments in Parts!"
;)

I am hopeful that I will have accumulated sufficient parts in my own collection by then to participate in their SHIPtember contest.
Slogghead
Experienced Poster

Post by Slogghead »

I think I have converted 5 people at work to start collecting/building Lego in the last 12 months. Everyone at work knows I collect Lego and I have never had anyone say "isn't that a kids toy?"

I have been in the collectible card game, table top board game, miniatures, etc for a long time and maybe I am used to justifying my hobbies to the ignorant. I will admit that these hobbies are not mainstream, but we love them and I could care less about someone giving me a hard time.

I have never brought a set to build at a bar or restaurant though...that seems strange to me (lose parts, transportation, dirty).

All I can say is thanks to all of you who make this hobby more enjoyable that I thought it ever could have been...we are not alone and we are the young at heart!
"I assure you, Lord Vader, my men are working as fast as they can." "Perhaps I can find new ways to motivate them."
http://www.flickr.com/photos/slogghead
Hamslice
Element King

Post by Hamslice »

I've collected Lego since I was born, we'll my mom and dad did for me for the first while.
My dad was really a huge supporter of my Lego building for years, until high school. Then he thought I should grow up.
My mom to keep with tradition always got me a little Lego something for my birthday or Xmas.
Which my dad always thought was dumb since I'm an adult. Then I took them to the surrey acienct worlds display. The day we did the live install. He finally got why I still build and collect. Everyone at work knows I build. and they joke about it. It's all good, but then I show him what I have built and other club members have done. And there attituid really changes. They know Lego is neat and cool for kids, but really don't know how good it gets for adults until they see it.
Not sure where I'm going with this post. But maybe it's like anything it's not enough telling someone about your hobbies you need show them as before they can truly understand.