What is your favorite CLASSIC SPACE Set?

A place for people at large to discuss items of interest with other people and members of the VLC.

Moderator: VLC Directors

Bricksky
Brick Overlord

What is your favorite CLASSIC SPACE Set?

Post by Bricksky »

Seriously, I just can't get enough of this stuff! I have a handful of Classic Space sets myself, and definitely want to get many many more!

Today I came across a video showing a very cool collection of Classic Space sets... and I must say I'm not usually the jealous type, but this video was just too much for me to bare...

Check out Jang's collection: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcVcnr0U ... e=youtu.be

I've been following his blog and review videos for awhile now. If you like seeing reviews of new and old sets, some interesting MOC's, and aren't offended by the occasional *cough* MegaBloks *cough* review, then check out his site: http://www.jangbricks.com/

So what CLASSIC SPACE Set's have you got? What's your Fave?

My collection includes:

Set 897-1 Mobile Rocket Launcher

Set 924-1 Space Cruiser

Set 6821-1 Shovel Buggy

Set 6847-1 Space Dozer

Set 6880-1 Surface Explorer

Set 6950-1 Mobile Rocket Transport

I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!
JamesH
Master Poster

Re: What is your favorite CLASSIC SPACE Set?

Post by JamesH »

Classic Space, or just Space as it was back then, was my thing growing up. I've still got most of my sets from when I was a kid and also inherited a friends collection when he moved to Ireland about 8 years ago.

The two sets I remember most are the Space Cruiser (I never had the Galaxy Explorer as a kid, but have it now as it's one from my friend) and 6970 Beta-1 Command Base:

I remember going to Woodwards in the Oakridge mall with my dad and buying it with my Christmas money. I remember seeing the seats and the clear coffee mug on the front picture and thinking it was just trick photography and they were really just a 2x2 L-bracket and a 1x1 round. I was blown away when I found out they were real pieces.

I also remember my Dad explaining I could afford either the Command Base or 5 "442 Space Shuttle". It was a hard choice, but I'm glad I went with the Command Base.

It's crazy how vivid the memory is, it's one of the only ones I've got from that long ago.

I also remember spending hours gazing at this image (and others like it):

Viva Classic Space! :)
Hamslice
Element King

Post by Hamslice »

I loved the old idea books that Lego made, with some instructions and then huge theme displays.
My favorite is mega core magnetizer. I never got it as a kid and to this day I'm still looking for it.
Old space was awesome some many play features. And great theme ideas.
Attachments
image.jpg
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

As a kid I only had about four LEGO sets. One basic brick set, an ambulance, a police car with motorcycle and two figs that didn't have moveable arms and legs and the Galaxy Explorer.

I remember asking my grandparents for that set one Christmas and they bought it for me. I don't remember ever asking for anything else from them and they did give me presents every year. I had a lot of fun with that set. What I do remember was the price was $35, as the sticker may have been left on the box, although that would be very uncharacteristic of my grandmother to do so. I do remember feeling a bit guilty for asking for such an expensive gift and very fortunate at the same time. Keep in mind that my allowance was like a dime or a quarter a week. Not that I recall ever saving that money to be used for anything.
Pierre
VLC Ambassador to TLG & VLC Director

My avatar is Ninjago's Pythor P Chumsworth. YAY! I finally have him! Thank you.
DeGobbi
Brick Deity

Post by DeGobbi »

Since both my older brother and i were into lego we doubled up on alot of the old space sets . Combined we had most of the big space sets from 1985 to 1987 , at that point my brother moved onto other things .

this was a great one to play with

one of my from early childhood was

But who can argue that this was not the best set EVER created ?!?!?!
VLC Loud mouth
Dave De Gobbi
Claybricks
MOC Poster

Post by Claybricks »

JamesH wrote:Classic Space, or just Space as it was back then, was my thing growing up. I've still got most of my sets from when I was a kid and also inherited a friends collection when he moved to Ireland about 8 years ago.

The two sets I remember most are the Space Cruiser (I never had the Galaxy Explorer as a kid, but have it now as it's one from my friend) and 6970 Beta-1 Command Base:

I remember going to Woodwards in the Oakridge mall with my dad and buying it with my Christmas money. I remember seeing the seats and the clear coffee mug on the front picture and thinking it was just trick photography and they were really just a 2x2 L-bracket and a 1x1 round. I was blown away when I found out they were real pieces.

I also remember my Dad explaining I could afford either the Command Base or 5 "442 Space Shuttle". It was a hard choice, but I'm glad I went with the Command Base.

It's crazy how vivid the memory is, it's one of the only ones I've got from that long ago.

I also remember spending hours gazing at this image (and others like it):

Viva Classic Space! :)
This is the set I remember playing with the most from my childhood. I think Lee still has one of the old grey base plates with the Moon craters. I'd be surprised if any other parts are still around.
brankell5566
MOC Poster

Post by brankell5566 »

I wish I was born during the Classic Space era, fun and simple sets with a beautiful logo. All I can have now is Benny's Spaceship.
AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

My first was my favorite.
Attachments
493 Space Command Center.png
timtosino
Element King

Post by timtosino »

I would have to be the Mega Core Magnetizer but I never had it as a kid. I only had a few 1 minifig small space ships as kid that I had as a set plus two of the moon baseplates so likely I had pieces from some of the larger sets from a garage sale.
-Tim Tosino
Lugnet #606
ILTCO #101
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tim_tosino/