Greenpeace launches LEGO Campaign

A place for people at large to discuss items of interest with other people and members of the VLC.

Moderator: VLC Directors

chump
Element God

Re: Greenpeace launches LEGO Campaign

Post by chump »

AC wrote:That is a good play. Hopefully Greenpeace does not push things and campaign any harder than they have.
I wasn't going to post this, but their success has got them going after Octan now.

http://brickfanatics.co.uk/activists-tu ... an-energy/
Pierre
VLC Ambassador to TLG & VLC Director

My avatar is Ninjago's Pythor P Chumsworth. YAY! I finally have him! Thank you.
AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

rotflol
Platypus
Brick God

Post by Platypus »

many people pointed out months ago that Green Peace would never succeed with their crazy gorilla tactics, and yet they did. Not only yesterday, but already three months ago when they took a little-known issue and launched it into the spotlight. All of us were suddenly talking about Green Peace and arctic oil drilling. That seems like the bigger success, given that it's the core issue Green Peace is trying to address. And while some people might be enthusiastic to drill the arctic to make more plastic stuff and gas, I would guess that far more people are thinking 'lets cut back on our oil consumption so we don't have to drill the arctic'.
While the tactics may have been dirty (I though they were all pretty catchy/funny, except the stickers), I think any reasonable person would have pushed a Shell partner-corp in front of the bus (and offered them an out) if they were worried that an arctic spill would melt huge amounts of ice, raise the ocean and kill or displace millions of people, among other things. I know I would stop arctic drilling if I had the chance (even though the price of oil and LEGO would go up a bit). So I say congrats Green Peace. I'm impressed that they pulled off what seemed impossible to so many.

Here is the GP post from their site:
Awesome news! LEGO just announced it will not renew its contract with Arctic destroyer Shell.

This is thanks to more than a million people all over the world who asked LEGO to quit helping Shell clean up its image for dirty oil drilling. It’s a huge blow to Shell’s strategy of partnering with popular brands to mask its destruction of the world’s most precious places.

Now Shell is more alone than ever, but it’s still racing full speed ahead to get permission to drill in the fragile Arctic waters of Alaska in 2015. Meanwhile just days ago, the Arctic sea ice cover reached one of its lowest points on record. We must act soon to protect the Arctic.

Please share this amazing victory with your friends, and ask them to join our Save the Arctic movement to stop Shell.

The crazy thing is, we know this is a battle we can win. Every day we’re getting closer. Our movement to Save the Arctic is now more than six million-strong. Recently we took our proposal for an Arctic sanctuary all the way to Ban Ki-moon, the UN Secretary General.

As the world stands up to stop rampant climate change and demand a better future, the Arctic is at a tipping point. If Shell’s dangerous Arctic drilling plans go ahead, it’s just a matter of time before an oil spill occurs. If Shell is stopped in time, it will be the first step toward drawing a line in the ice, rejecting the notion that environmental destruction is necessary for progress, and using our collective creativity, courage, and brilliance to build a better way.

LEGO’s commitment is important because it sends the message to other brands that some companies are simply too toxic to work with, and that the public will no longer accept silence when the stakes are this high. Wherever Shell goes, however it tries to hide, we’ll be there -- exposing its true face, condemning its destructive ways, and standing up for the Arctic.

Are you with us?

Please share the news and invite your friends to join us to make history.

Sincerely,
Alex Speers-Roesch
Arctic Campaigner, Greenpeace Canada

PS - Greenpeace doesn’t take money from governments, corporations, or political parties -- which means all our work depends on people like you. So if you’re committed to defending the environment and caring for our planet, donate today.
David Gagnon - (AKA Daveed or Platypus)
timtosino
Element King

Post by timtosino »

Long Term since 2011? There have been Shell sets way longer than that. Guess that means there will be no more Ferrari sets as well unless they negotiate their own deal with LEGO.
-Tim Tosino
Lugnet #606
ILTCO #101
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tim_tosino/
Ptrotter
MOC Poster

Post by Ptrotter »

Technically, it's when the contract expires that they will not sign a new one. That long term contract could have been for several years. We don't know the terms.
I own a bit of Lego. A little obsessive by some peoples standards.
timtosino
Element King

Post by timtosino »

That Shell Promo was supposed to launch into other countries late into 2014 and probably even into 2015. It's not like LEGO is pulling product back because of the decision.
-Tim Tosino
Lugnet #606
ILTCO #101
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tim_tosino/