Building MOCs: How do you get your pieces?

A place for people at large to discuss items of interest with other people and members of the VLC.

Moderator: VLC Directors

TroopaDee
Master Poster

Building MOCs: How do you get your pieces?

Post by TroopaDee »

I notice that when I build a MOC, I often find myself struggling to find enough of a certain piece that I need (quantity wise), finding the right piece (knowing what piece I need but not having it), or not having the piece in the right colour. Being mainly a Star Wars collector (which comprises 95% of all my LEGO), I usually end up having to either scrap a model (which I try not to do) or a MOC that I've previously built, although I like to keep as many of my MOCs intact as possible.

So I'm curious as to what you guys do. Do you guys keep all your MOCs intact or scrap them for pieces for another MOC? When you build a MOC, have you planned out what you're going to do and know what pieces that you're going to need or do you just build spontaneously? And do you get your pieces from part of your existing LEGO or would you specially go out and order parts/pieces?

Thanks for reading, I would really appreciate all your responses!
AC
Brick God

Re: Building MOCs: How do you get your pieces?

Post by AC »

There is no easy answer to your questions. I have done both spontaneous and builds where I have planned and purchased the parts I need. When you know what you need ordering off https://www.bricklink.com or http://shop.lego.com/en-CA/?HQS=lego+shop+at+home are some options. Some will buy pieces off the pick-a-brick wall at one of the two Lego Stores in the Lower Mainland stocking up on parts they foresee a future need for. As for keeping MOCs together some I keep and some (usually built for a club event) I take apart after they serve their purpose. Some MOCs and the techniques used to build then just don't stand up over time and, well, need to be dismantled anyways.