Question on Lego train voltages

A place for people at large to discuss items of interest with other people and members of the VLC.

Moderator: VLC Directors

TerryH
New Poster

Question on Lego train voltages

Post by TerryH »

I purchased my first Lego train set (for my son's really :-) and the AC transformer is burned out. It is a 12VAC 7VA unit. But searching around for other train stuff it always mentions 9 Volt sets, but those sets appear to be the same as mine. I am confused. Is this 12V set an anomoly ? If I purchase another set like this Harry Potter one on sale at Costco, will it run at 12V ?

Some clarification on these different kinds of voltages would be appreciated. Also, the name of a good place to get a replacement AC adapter would be appreciated. I know I can purchase an adapter/controller set at the Lego store but I'd prefer to spend less money.

Thank you,
Terry.
DeGobbi
Brick Deity

Post by DeGobbi »

IT should be warrentied through lego . just phone there customer service line and they will tell you where to mail the adaptor and then send out a new one usually . thats what they do for the geared motors.

www.lego.com

Let us know how it goes ! :)
VLC Loud mouth
Dave De Gobbi

Voltages ?

Post by Guest »

But what about the different voltages ?
TFM
Element King

Re: Question on LEGO® train voltages

Post by TFM »

TerryH wrote:I purchased my first LEGO® train set (for my son's really :-) and the AC transformer is burned out. It is a 12VAC 7VA unit. But searching around for other train stuff it always mentions 9 Volt sets, but those sets appear to be the same as mine. I am confused. Is this 12V set an anomoly ? If I purchase another set like this Harry Potter one on sale at Costco, will it run at 12V ?

Some clarification on these different kinds of voltages would be appreciated. Also, the name of a good place to get a replacement AC adapter would be appreciated. I know I can purchase an adapter/controller set at the LEGO® store but I'd prefer to spend less money.

Thank you,
Terry.
Sorry for the late reply. The power pack is a 12volt AC unit rated for 2 amps.

The controller takes that AC and converts it to 3 to 9 volts DC for your train.

LEGO should replace it or I'm sure one of the VLC has extra. I think I do. But mine would be used.
8) TFM -- ABS addiction is a terrible thing... to waste.