Part-time Employment Opportunity

A place for people at large to discuss items of interest with other people and members of the VLC.

Moderator: VLC Directors

J1A3L5
MOC Poster

Part-time Employment Opportunity

Post by J1A3L5 »

Hello Everyone -

I have an interesting offer for a job which I think many of you would be suited to: In the late Spring I took over teaching LEGO Mindstorms classes via a friend of a friend. The classes would be as follows:
Our plan for the fall term is September 19-December 13, on Saturdays and Sundays 1:30-4:30pm, 13 sessions each group.
The children are young, around ages 10-12. The groups are 5 kids or less, the most I ever had was 3.

Pay: $25/hr $30/hr if 5+ kids present

Due to the kids being young, it is essentially a matter of helping them build the robots from instructions (the internet has a wealth of instructions online based off the educational kits they have). While they build, you can program using the EV3 software and then program them when they're done and let them play. Remote control cars are easy and always popular. Note that while familiarity with the software is great, but the level of knowledge required is very low and easily acquired. I learned most of it on the fly.

If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll get everyone in contact appropriately. It's important to note that there are "substitute" teachers available in the event you have to be away - BrickCon for example. I had initially said I would do it, missing about one weekend a month, and they were not concerned. Unfortunately I think I have too many other things going on to continue.

The location is near Arbutus and Broadway.

-John.