42056 porsche 911 revealed.

A place for people at large to discuss items of interest with other people and members of the VLC.

Moderator: VLC Directors

Gumby
Master Poster

Re: 42056 porsche 911 revealed.

Post by Gumby »

the gears running in the correct order meant that it did not result in a great experience when driving the car
"when driving the car"... does that mean they expect many users to put Power Functions into the model?
-Bryan
Kyler
Brick Deity

Post by Kyler »

Gumby wrote:
the gears running in the correct order meant that it did not result in a great experience when driving the car
"when driving the car"... does that mean they expect many users to put Power Functions into the model?
I don't think so. (Although I'm sure they expect some to install PFs).

I think they mean when pushing it around. It sounds like when the gearbox is ordered sequentially, the resistance/friction is significantly increased, so pushing the car around it wouldn't roll as easily/nicely.

From the Bricklink review, it sounds like it's probably quite feasible to install Power Functions in the Porsche, but doing so requires taking out the fancy technic gearbox and engine (to make room for the PF battery box and XL motor). I'm sure LEGO knows this, so I don't think they're expecting anyone to motorize the gearbox (at least not while remaining inside the Porsche body).
Kyler Storm - (not the Gladiator)
bobabricks
Experienced Poster

Post by bobabricks »

I'm pretty sure the car wasn't made to fit power functions, though I'm sure with modifications it could be done. Getting the gear shifting setup remotely would be interesting.
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

Someone doesn't agree with the TLG response:
That being said, please let the person or persons who came up with this statement know that I feel offended. The statement is untrue for several reasons:

1 - The number of gears that is engaged in any of the gears (1-2-3-4) is exactly the same.

2A - The number of gears in the transmission has no bearing on how smooth everything works. It only affects the backlash that accumulates along the drivetrain, but is not responsible for the engine lockups I have experienced. There are however several things (related to use of parts) that could have decreased the accidental introduction of additional friction in this gear train.

2B - If you discount the gear wheels that all 4 gear settings have in common, (i.e. everything that happens between the wheels and moment a different multiplication is selected) that number is a whopping 6 (3 pairs), so the order of the gear sequence has no bearing on how smooth the mechanism will work.

3 - The building experience is in no way affected by the order in which the gears are placed. As a matter of fact the solution we have proposed includes placing the exact same number of gears (1 in both cases) in the exact same order on mirrored shafts.

Mistakes happen and design decisions can be defended, but doing so by presenting incorrect arguments reflects badly on the professionalism and expertise of the people in the LEGO Technic department.

Finally, by focussing on the gear sequence issue, the frequent lockup of the engine is ignored, indirectly attributed to the change we may have made, and partially excused as a result of the large number of gears, when in actual fact this is in no way to blame on the gears in the drivetrain, but on the gear selection mechanism (the "paddles") as I clearly explained and showed in my review.
Pierre
VLC Ambassador to TLG & VLC Director

My avatar is Ninjago's Pythor P Chumsworth. YAY! I finally have him! Thank you.
TheRebricker
Master Poster

Post by TheRebricker »

As far as motorizing it, if you watch Sariel's YouTube review, he found a spot to quite easily add an XL PF motor in there. Like it was designed to have it. Perhaps TLG removed the PF since it didn't perform to their standards and simply opted to sell it as a non-PF / User upgradeable set.

YouTube Video and timing location of said statement: https://youtu.be/0Y59aTZ_88A?t=29m10s
- Jason
Gumby
Master Poster

Post by Gumby »

TheRebricker wrote:As far as motorizing it, if you watch Sariel's YouTube review, he found a spot to quite easily add an XL PF motor in there. Like it was designed to have it. Perhaps TLG removed the PF since it didn't perform to their standards and simply opted to sell it as a non-PF / User upgradeable set.

YouTube Video and timing location of said statement: https://youtu.be/0Y59aTZ_88A?t=29m10s
Thanks for the link to the video - it was very informative and will help anyone who's on the fence about buying this set.

I think I'll get it eventually, especially if the price goes down... but no need to rush out and get it now!
-Bryan
Gumby
Master Poster

Post by Gumby »

I was at the Oakridge location today and out of curiosity, asked Troy if they had any in stock. They didn't, and won't get any for at least a few weeks. But he told me that they did receive a few on day one, but there was a lineup of around 100 people out the door towards Safeway that wanted the Porsche!
-Bryan
Hamslice
Element King

Post by Hamslice »

Yep. This is the next investment set.
Gumby
Master Poster

Post by Gumby »

Interesting, the Oakridge display model & case are both gone, replaced by a 42043 Mercedes Benz Arocs. Did someone buy the display model, or did they hide the display while LEGO fixes the packaging problem first?
-Bryan