42056 porsche 911 revealed.

A place for people at large to discuss items of interest with other people and members of the VLC.

Moderator: VLC Directors

Hamslice
Element King

42056 porsche 911 revealed.

Post by Hamslice »

Cant remember who at brickcan was talking about this. But here it is.

http://brickset.com/article/20854/techn ... 911-gt3-rs
chump
Element God

Re: 42056 porsche 911 revealed.

Post by chump »

I actually would prefer the black and white test panels originally shown instead of this orange.
Pierre
VLC Ambassador to TLG & VLC Director

My avatar is Ninjago's Pythor P Chumsworth. YAY! I finally have him! Thank you.
Kyler
Brick Deity

Post by Kyler »

Hamslice wrote:Cant remember who at brickcan was talking about this. But here it is.

Well look at that... we were talking about how LEGO didn't use BrickCan to reveal any new set and someone (I can't remember either) had suggested maybe they could have announced the Porche. Well, they didn't but it seems BrickCan was exactly in line (timing wise) with the actual announcement. Heh.
Kyler Storm - (not the Gladiator)
Kyler
Brick Deity

Post by Kyler »

chump wrote:I actually would prefer the black and white test panels originally shown instead of this orange.
The black & white striped demo was awesome, but orange looks pretty good too.
Gumby
Master Poster

Post by Gumby »

I also preferred the black version.

Hmm, CA$350 is pretty hefty for 2700 pieces...

Edit: But there are a lot of features and "collector's" items. Will need to see a review before making a decision.
-Bryan
timtosino
Element King

Post by timtosino »

Kyler wrote:
Hamslice wrote:Cant remember who at brickcan was talking about this. But here it is.

Well look at that... we were talking about how LEGO didn't use BrickCan to reveal any new set and someone (I can't remember either) had suggested maybe they could have announced the Porche. Well, they didn't but it seems BrickCan was exactly in line (timing wise) with the actual announcement. Heh.
I think we're on the map now as a successful LEGO convention, so hopefully we'll get that honor next year.
-Tim Tosino
Lugnet #606
ILTCO #101
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tim_tosino/
TheRebricker
Master Poster

Post by TheRebricker »

At that price, I'd expect a motor or at least lights.... licensing must be a killer on this one!
- Jason
JayKay
Master Poster

Post by JayKay »

TheRebricker wrote:At that price, I'd expect a motor or at least lights.... licensing must be a killer on this one!
Someone posted that they saw a power function when zooming in certain parts of the photo. If it is fully rc then they might as well have a preauthorized withdrawal from my account. If not I'd probably still buy it because I "need to."
Gumby
Master Poster

Post by Gumby »

JayKay wrote:
TheRebricker wrote:At that price, I'd expect a motor or at least lights.... licensing must be a killer on this one!
Someone posted that they saw a power function when zooming in certain parts of the photo. If it is fully rc then they might as well have a preauthorized withdrawal from my account. If not I'd probably still buy it because I "need to."
Unfortunately, the press release is pretty detailed, so if there were power functions included, I'm sure they would have written about it.
-Bryan
TheRebricker
Master Poster

Post by TheRebricker »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5wy0YhCuuA

Get the excitement going.

However here in British Columbia, with tax, it comes out to 14.5 cents per piece.
Without tax: 12.9 cents per piece.

But it's just so beautiful and has several exclusive pieces. I'm curious how the piece that "allows for smooth shifting" really works and what that may mean for sets that are remote and use a transmission. Could we soon see custom MOCs that properly shift without loosing too much momentum?
- Jason
ssential-bricks
MOC Poster

Post by ssential-bricks »

I really like the interior. Does it come in a friends version? Pink perhaps??

j/k rotflol
lego n00b --> supportive lego spouse --> AFOL
Kyler
Brick Deity

Post by Kyler »

TheRebricker wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5wy0YhCuuA

Get the excitement going.
OMG :!: wow
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

ssential-bricks wrote:I really like the interior. Does it come in a friends version? Pink perhaps??

j/k rotflol
I'm sure Tyler will have that covered. Then he'll launch it into space.
Pierre

Kyler
Brick Deity

Post by Kyler »

Hamslice
Element King

Post by Hamslice »

I may have to get this set now.
TheRebricker
Master Poster

Post by TheRebricker »

I watched Sariel's review while I waited for it to release on S@H last night. Made me less likely to buy it. I waited until 12:05am but it still wasn't available online so I went to sleep. Checked again at 6:20am and it's sold out until the end of June already. Won't be available in stores until August according to Brickset. Huh. Might be a hard set to get.
- Jason
Kyler
Brick Deity

Post by Kyler »

TheRebricker wrote:Huh. Might be a hard set to get.
Hard to get now. But the hype will die down so it's not a problem for those not in a rush to get it soon.
Hamslice
Element King

Post by Hamslice »

Investment set?
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

Rumour is there's a problem with the instructions.
Pierre

Gumby
Master Poster

Post by Gumby »

Hamslice wrote:Investment set?
I'm pretty sure the price will only go up once it's out of production, since this set will also appeal to Porsche fans. If you can afford to drive a Porsche, then you can definitely afford this set. But the initial investment is pretty steep at $350+ tax...
chump wrote:Rumour is there's a problem with the instructions.
Yeah some of the gears are switched around, so the car shifts from 1-3-2-4... but easily fixed.

After seeing the various reviews, I'm still on the fence. Not sure if I should:

1) Buy one for myself
2) Buy one for investment
3) All of the above

But as mentioned before, I'm not sure I can justify spending that kind of money! Maybe only if I sell off a big chunk of my existing collection over the summer, and re-focus my collecting priorities...
-Bryan
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

I think that last statement holds a lot of truth. I also have to take a long hard look and see what I intend for my collection to look like. It's somewhat pointless spreading yourself to thin, and rather focus. Unless you're doing it for investment purposes.
Pierre

bobabricks
Experienced Poster

Post by bobabricks »

There's already a listing on Craigslist for $650. Like. Wow. It's a cool car but to pay that much to have it a month before it comes back out, with proper instructions may I add, seems a bit extreme.

As a long term investment I can see it going up but you best wait until it is close to retiring as it's just a huge cardboard liability that takes up storage and could be damaged (I was reading a thread on Brickset about a guy who's sealed 10179, stickers and instructions were destroyed by sprinklers going off). I've never been a huge fan of investing in sets this large but if you have the storage space and are willing to take the risk of the liability then go right ahead.

As for me buying this set, probably won't happen unless I get a really good deal. I'm not a big Porsche fanboy and I'm a bit disappointed that it's not the colour scheme of the ToyFair version. Still cool, like the engineering behind it, like how the chassis kind of goes together in a modular fassion (watch a speed build) and I love the packaging, wish that kind of stuff would happen more often.
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

Thank you to all our dedicated fans for the comments regarding the GT3 RS by LEGO Technic.

It is correct that the gears in this model are not sequential as in the real Porsche PDK. This is however, a deliberate decision taken to ensure that we make the best possible LEGO version of this amazing car that both meets our design requirements and gives everyone a great building and product experience.

It was a considered decision taken during development that the gears running in the correct order meant that it did not result in a great experience when driving the car. Too many gears are engaged at the same time and smooth running with all those tolerances is just not possible.

If you switch the build in steps 267 and 269 the gears will run sequentially, and everyone who feels that this is the better solution should feel encouraged to do so.
LEGO Technic really is the ultimate open source design product and now that it is finally available, we look forward to seeing all the 'improved' models our fans create. After all, that is what LEGO building is all about.
We hope everyone will have a great building experience and feel a strong sense of pride from creating both our version and their very own LEGO Technic representation of a Porsche GT3 RS. We are very fortunate to have such skilled and dedicated fans that can spot this small deviation from reality and would like to thank everyone for sharing their ideas and expert knowledge.
Pierre

bobabricks
Experienced Poster

Post by bobabricks »

Interesting, thanks for sharing Pierre.
Kyler
Brick Deity

Post by Kyler »

Great response.
Those who know enough about LEGO (the company) will know that the quality of a build always trumps replication of a real-world object. They take their build standards seriously.
Good on them for also reminding fans that re-designs and variations are welcomed and encouraged.

(The 'problem' with the gearbox isn't like the defective/weak part 'problem' they had with Wall-E's neck joint - which they fixed.)