How much of a LEGO purist are you?

A place for people at large to discuss items of interest with other people and members of the VLC.

Moderator: VLC Directors

chump
Element God

How much of a LEGO purist are you?

Post by chump »

This should be fun. So what's your number?

From Mikael at SweBrick:

Yep, we all heard it and all seen it, the endless discussion on what's ok and not.. Lately in Sweden the AFOL Facebook page and Swebrick have had it's fair share of the discussion again, with different clone brand elements or entire models sneaking into the flow of post and builds. And off course we had our share of that brand (like with Volderomort I will not say the name) that sells pirated exclusives..

People will forever have different opinions, but one of our members made a chart after filtering out the discussions. Perhaps not something to agree on but something to aid for the general understanding of the discussion, or a tool to use as a tool as one AFOL page did and simply said, "anything up to 19 is ok with us."
It have been altered a few times to reflect the general acceptance here in our (Swedish AFOL) community. Hope this don't start a flame war.. if you like it! Use it, if you disagree.. just forget you ever say this thread (it will be buried anyhow pretty soon).. :-)

Cheers!
Pierre
VLC Ambassador to TLG & VLC Director

My avatar is Ninjago's Pythor P Chumsworth. YAY! I finally have him! Thank you.
TroopaDee
Master Poster

Re: How much of a LEGO purist are you?

Post by TroopaDee »

Ooooh, this is a fun one. I'm really guilty of customizing as seen in my avatar pic and I spend much more time messing around with modifications than actually building so I'd be a 24 on the right side. On the left side I'd be at 17, I think things like BrickForge and BrickArms can add really nice finishing touches to MOCS, but I definitely wouldn't go as far as Meagblooks.
Lettuce
Brick Overlord

Post by Lettuce »

I'm a 9. I do love me some Duplo.
Rhymes with Lettuce
bricksare4me
MOC Poster

Post by bricksare4me »

:shock: - I really did look like this as I was looking at the diagram. My eyes buggered out of my eye sockets.
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

It looks like I'm a 23. I've hacked pieces before. I needed towball heads for a LEGO mini-chess set pieces designed by TheBrickBlogger. I've also hacked door frames to make a double swing door, so that the centre beam isn't getting in the way when both doors are open. I've erased a moustache off of Johnny Thunder and recreated stickers that were old and faded. I also own BrickArms and some BrickForge stuff.

I do have MB Call of Duty micro action figures and some scenery sets, which technically also puts me at 23 but I think they mean if you use the MB pieces within the Lego builds themselves which I do not. Eventually, I'd like to do a skirmish game with them. Granted you could do the same with LEGO minifigs, but for the most part, I don't think LEGO minifigs really pose well with BrickArms without using the third party CrazyArms.
Pierre

Hamslice
Element King

Post by Hamslice »

Im not sure how to read this. But i think im a 5 on the right. But i still use techic and duplo. Using 3rd party lights i dont count cause lego doesnt make them and they really should.
Kyler
Brick Deity

Post by Kyler »

So far I've only hit 10 (by using 3rd party lights)
but I have parts for future use that would bump me up to 15 and 23 (parts from BrickForge & MegaBloks respectively).

I think the whole chart should be titled "How much of a LEGO purist are you?" because some of the most well known master builders have been known to use MegaBloks as filler (in locations where they're not visible). Without the title, the chart looks like it could be calculating how much of an AFOL you are.

Added in 3 minutes 24 seconds:
Hamslice wrote:Using 3rd party lights i dont count cause lego doesnt make them and they really should.
Technically (pun intended) LEGO does make lights, they're just limited in their use. (Technic style powered by Power Functions box/cable.)
Set: 8870-1
Last edited by Kyler on Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kyler Storm - (not the Gladiator)
JayKay
Master Poster

Post by JayKay »

I don't know what number I should categorize myself in but I'm ok with 3rd party stuff that Lego does not make as long as the quality is good. My only issue pretty much is when 3rd party companies try to copy Lego pieces, minifigures or sets and pass them off as their own. I don't recall purposely spending money on Moogablooks before but I did literally get a suitcase full of them at Comiccon one year for free. I've not used them to build anything. I lend out those bricks to friends who are not afols who ask to borrow some "Lego" for whatever reason.
Kyler
Brick Deity

Post by Kyler »

JayKay wrote:I don't recall purposely spending money on Moogablooks before but I did literally get a suitcase full of them at Comiccon one year for free. I've not used them to build anything. I lend out those bricks to friends who are not afols who ask to borrow some "Lego" for whatever reason.
:lol:

I've never bought MegaBloks, and normally when I've weeded out any such imposters (when acquiring used bulk LEGO) I've given them away or sold dirt cheap, but I did recently decide to hang on to a bunch of 2x4 bricks as they might come in handy (as can DUPLO) in being underlying filler for bigger MOCs.
Lettuce
Brick Overlord

Post by Lettuce »

Who used MegaBloks as filler? As far as I know the dimensions of their bricks and plates are very slightly less than LEGO, so when you start stacking stuff it won't match up after awhile.
Rhymes with Lettuce
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

Why I needed to cut the double door frames....

IMG_5358.GIF
IMG_5358.GIF (2.49 MiB) Viewed 11464 times
Pierre

Kyler
Brick Deity

Post by Kyler »

chump wrote:Why I needed to cut the door frame....

IMG_5358.GIF
OUCH!
That's just a REALLY bad choice of decoration for that type of doorway. :o shake

Added in :
chump wrote:Why I needed to cut the door frame....

IMG_5358.GIF
OUCH!
That's just a REALLY bad choice of decoration for that type of doorway. :o shake
timtosino
Element King

Post by timtosino »

13-14, I don't get why Me Rails are higher on the left than BrickArms and Brick Forge?
-Tim Tosino
Lugnet #606
ILTCO #101
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tim_tosino/
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

This is just one dude's opinion who made an infographic for fun discussion. So it is by no means definitive. Although Kim at TLG did say he posted it at his office for amusement, so there is a smidgen of legitimacy. :)
Pierre

TheRebricker
Master Poster

Post by TheRebricker »

I'm a 7 and I don't count my participation in the TransLink build as part of my personal build style.
- Jason