3rd Party Exclusives (i.e. TRU Exclusives)

A place for people at large to discuss items of interest with other people and members of the VLC.

Moderator: VLC Directors

Kyler
Brick Deity

3rd Party Exclusives (i.e. TRU Exclusives)

Post by Kyler »

Have you ever found yourself at the LEGO Store, not seeing stock on the shelf, asking if they have any of set X in stock only to be told set X is a ToysRUs exclusive (only available at TRU or shop.lego.com), or a Walmart exclusive, etc.?

Well, if that's ever bothered you (as it occasionally has me) then get ready to rejoice! :)

According to the staff at Oakridge, LEGO plans to stop issuing exclusivity contracts with 3rd party retail chains (like TRU and Walmart).

It sounds like most of the currently exclusive sets might be available in LEGO brand retail stores as soon as August. :woo:
Kyler Storm - (not the Gladiator)
Lettuce
Brick Overlord

Re: 3rd Party Exclusives (i.e. TRU Exclusives)

Post by Lettuce »

This is great news.
I haven't seen this reported anywhere else yet, but this seems like the kind of information that the retail employees would have reliably.
Rhymes with Lettuce
Ptrotter
MOC Poster

Post by Ptrotter »

Wow. All Toys R us will have is their 20% off sales and clearance prices at TRU and Walmart.
I own a bit of Lego. A little obsessive by some peoples standards.
Kyler
Brick Deity

Post by Kyler »

Lettuce wrote:This is great news.
I know, right?
Lettuce wrote:I haven't seen this reported anywhere else yet, but this seems like the kind of information that the retail employees would have reliably.
As for reliability, I can't imagine they would be misinformed, so it's got to be at least partially true.
I was asking about 70910 Scarecrow Special Delivery, and after confirming it's currently a TRU exclusive, staff at Oakridge proceeded to tell me they believe they'll be getting it in come August, which lead to the story.
Kyler Storm - (not the Gladiator)
Lettuce
Brick Overlord

Post by Lettuce »

I've heard all kinds of things that the store employees "believe". The part that's somewhat reliable about this is that they could be getting the exclusives back on their shelves, like they used to (until like a year and a half ago or so). They could still have retailer exclusives, just LBR might have them in addition to WalMart/TRU/Target/Argos/etc.

And I guess that explains why Costco didn't have 70910...
Rhymes with Lettuce
Legoguyyvr
New Poster

Post by Legoguyyvr »

Probably old news now, but to expand on this.

Lego still plans to issue exclusives to certain retailers (Wal-Mart, TRU, and Target, to be specific), but Lego stores and Lego online will be exempt. Meaning they will carry these retail exclusives. Just other retailers won’t. (Ie Wal-Mart won’t carry the TRU exclusive, and vice versa. The LEGO store will have everything.)