Lego Inventory/Spreadsheets

A place for people at large to discuss items of interest with other people and members of the VLC.

Moderator: VLC Directors

KenmoreThompson
MOC Poster

Lego Inventory/Spreadsheets

Post by KenmoreThompson »

I remember at BrickCan showing up to the collaborative build session and there was some brief discussion about inventory tracking and whatnot. Does anyone use Excel for this? (I think that's what was said in the session) Does anyone use a different inventory system that works better? If someone does use Excel, could I possibly get a copy of your template? Or maybe just a screen-grab that I can reverse-engineer?

I'm 40% done planning my first large build (a SHIP-sized Auquanaut submarine) and I'm thinking it might be useful to toss everything into a spreadsheet to keep track of my ordering, and keep costs reasonable.
chump
Element God

Re: Lego Inventory/Spreadsheets

Post by chump »

I used to use a basic spreadsheet but almost all of that can be done on Brickset and then imported into Rebrickable. At least that's how I've done it.
Pierre
VLC Ambassador to TLG & VLC Director

My avatar is Ninjago's Pythor P Chumsworth. YAY! I finally have him! Thank you.
Hamslice
Element King

Post by Hamslice »

Allan and I were the ones who gave that presentation.

We mainly use google doc, as it can be easliy shared with others. If your just trying to mantain parts ordered and parts needed to be ordered, Bricklink has a "want list". Add your parts to it, you can specify color quanity and price you want to pay. Hit the order button and it will scrub all stores to find you the best prices and the stores that have the most inventory of what you need to cut down on shipping costs.

Hope this helps

Keith
Kyler
Brick Deity

Post by Kyler »

Jason and Sarah are the King and Queen of inventory, and they use Rebricable I believe.
Kyler Storm - (not the Gladiator)
KenmoreThompson
MOC Poster

Post by KenmoreThompson »

Thanks, guys. I'll look into using Google Docs, I think. I've been using Bricklink's Want List, but I don't find it terribly useful as an inventory management, as much as an ordering management tool. I'll have a look at Rebrickable, too.
TheRebricker
Master Poster

Post by TheRebricker »

I highly recommend Rebrickable.com as it offers many ways to inventory and then based on what it knows you have, can suggest what you can build.
- Jason