What does your dream show/con transportation system look like?

A place for people at large to discuss items of interest with other people and members of the VLC.

Moderator: VLC Directors

derekbrameyer
General Poster

What does your dream show/con transportation system look like?

Post by derekbrameyer »

As I'm getting prepped for BrickCan, I find myself wanting more convenient storage and transportation systems. I've currently got a rolling cart, a bunch of plastic totes, some Ikea cutlery trays for spare parts storage, and of course the ubiquitous Ziploc bags.

Now that I've got a few MILS modules, I'm wishing there was an easier way to transport them and put them on display. One idea I have is modular storage cubes with removable sides for ease of loading/unloading -- sized for 1, 2, and 3 baseplates would be nice. One thing I haven't figured out is how to deal with varying heights...

How do you all transport your MOCs to shows? What does your setup look like and what do you wish was better about it?
moore_99
Experienced Poster

Re: What does your dream show/con transportation system look like?

Post by moore_99 »

I have this same question…in July I’m going to the Bricks in the Six convention in Toronto and I’m wondering how to get my MOC across the country. I would love to hear how other people have transported their MOC’s when travelling by air.
John N.
J1A3L5
MOC Poster

Post by J1A3L5 »

With respect to flying: The best (and expensive) solution I've seen was when a friend bought a hardshell gun case (like a Pelican Case) and laser-cut foam layers to fit around it. Made it through airports without a scratch.
Snowy
MOC Poster

Post by Snowy »

For flying to Cons I take things that I know I can rebuild on site fairly quickly. Even in hand luggage they are going to be bashed around. If it’s fragile, take it in carry on, wrapped in Saran wrap, and try to protect it as much as possible.
I still haven’t decided what to take to Bricks in the Six because of the transportation issues.

For moving MILS, I’ve found USPS standard shipping boxes are 11in square and take a MOC nicely. For tall builds a second box taped to the top half works well.
I also like the 10in wide soft cloth storage cubes for road plates and train tracks as they are very light and flexible, and pack away easily when not in use.