What is the best way to sell LEGO?

Buy, Sell or Trade anything LEGO® related. (Note: due to the accountability of this forum this area requires you to be registered to post.)

Moderator: VLC Directors

03SilveradoLS
Experienced Poster

What is the best way to sell LEGO?

Post by 03SilveradoLS »

I have acquired a very large selection of TECHNIC all sorted by shape & color into many Plano sorting boxes. I don't know how much I have spent bolstering my childhood collection but I am now pondering selling it all off. In the end I will probably just list each Plano box on Ebay which I imagine will fetch a pretty penny each, but would a person be better off trying to sell in smaller quantities? Is it really worth the time? If you chose to sell your collection how would you do it?
Relax
General Poster

Speaking as an addict...

Post by Relax »

Well, personally I think you should sell it all to me... :wink:

Seriously, if the price is right I'd probably take it all...
03SilveradoLS
Experienced Poster

Post by 03SilveradoLS »

Don't you ever reach a point where you have enough LEGO? Mine was stored in my parents attic since I was fifteen. I went and got it two years ago and I've been on a buying spree since then. Buying all the things I wanted as a kid, and then I learned of all the new parts, gotta get them too.. LOL. Now I have just about every part I could conceivably want and in quantity. A person in my position could keep buying more, but what's the point? I could never see myself running out of parts.
J1A3L5
MOC Poster

Post by J1A3L5 »

Run out of pieces? It all depends on what you build I suppose. The more pieces you have, the bigger you can build. I do a lot of castle building, so I'm always pushing for bigger & "better" - I need all the old grey bricks I can get my hands on. If you build small models with a diverse range of pieces, the need for a large collection isn't the same. A few of each piece might suffice.

As for selling it, in my experience it's usually worth breaking it up into smaller, more specific lots. As with Relax - There's specific technic pieces I've been looking for, and would love to buy. If you were willing to sell some of it here, you'd probably get a lot of interest.

How big a collection are you looking at selling? 10,000 pieces? 50,000 pieces?

-John L.
03SilveradoLS
Experienced Poster

Post by 03SilveradoLS »

Peeron lists my parts somewhere around the 15,000 mark, but I don't have all my sets listed and I bought a ton of individual parts on Bricklink. My sister doesn't think I should sell and that's making me taking a step back from doing so. I guess for the most part I am getting prepared to sell, but I may not do so in the end.

As I have been collecting it my motivation came with two thoughts One, I was satisfying the child within me and the other was that I could pass this LEGO down to my sisters kids when she has them (I probably won't have kids).

I intended on playing with it and building things but honestly, due to LEGO's limitations there is only so much, or so large you can build. Gears break or skip, pneumatics leak and motors are only so strong. It's kind of a downer to have all these parts and realize there's nothing exceptionally interesting (to an adult) to build.

If I could I would sent it all back in time to when I was seven or eight years old. The fun I would have had.

Anyways, I guess I am rambling on. I will definitely post here if I do decide to sell.
smartiac
MOC Poster

Post by smartiac »

I am wondering if you have really seen the potential for the brick if you honestly believe that. I have seen things that I never even imagined were possible to be made out of Lego, including a Rubik's Cube solving robot, a life size couch, a sixteen foot space ship, a true to minifig scale aircraft carrier(12 feet long), heck, the ship I am working on now will take almost 10,000 pieces alone.
I say, keep the Lego, keep looking at inspirational creations, and if indeed you lose interest, keep it to hand to your children. You won't get even close to the amount you paid, selling used Lego.
Anyways, just some thoughts.

Nathan
Relax
General Poster

That is the question...

Post by Relax »

03SilveradoLS wrote:Don't you ever reach a point where you have enough LEGO?
My guess is that would really depend on the individual, but I see what you mean. (Case in point, I have enough K'Nex to last several lifetimes...) If you find yourself not using it and not inspired to use it then you've probably got too much...

In the end what you've got to figure out is would you rather have the LEGO or the money to get something else. As much as I'd like to buy it from you I agree with others here that keeping it is, if at all possible, probably the best option. Having said that, if you decide to sell, let me know... :wink:
Platypus
Brick God

Post by Platypus »

As much as I hate to ever be on the defencive; how old do you think we are? There are plenty of things that you can do with your LEGO that are interesting and chalenging to an adult! :wink:

The limits of LEGO are the ones you have imagined for yourself (and a few real ones). 4 years ago I saw a child sized LEGO robot that had 45 LEGO motors in it. It could walk, pick things up and even bat an eyelash!

I think you found our site for a reason other than to sell your LEGO. You found us because being the only adult you knew who still collected LEGO might have been a bit of a downer. Having enough parts to build anything you want is only fun if you can then show off what you have built and have people enjoy your work. Artist don't paint for their own eye.

Our January meeting will have a technic building contest. Membership form is on the front page of the site... :)
David Gagnon - (AKA Daveed or Platypus)