US Lego

Buy, Sell or Trade anything LEGO® related. (Note: due to the accountability of this forum this area requires you to be registered to post.)

Moderator: VLC Directors

Graham
MOC Poster

US Lego

Post by Graham »

I have a question in regards to buying new lego in Canada. Now the Lego website changes base website and currency based on shipping destination, however even though the US$ and CDN$ is roughly at par, the US prices are considerably cheaper (like the harbour is $119CDN or $89US or 8pc box of 9v straight track for $17.99CDN or $11.99US ).

Is there a way we in Canada can order from the US website, or is there another way for a US destination (don't think a US PostBox works).

Thanx,

Graham
Andrew
Brick Overlord

Post by Andrew »

The U.S. address would work if you have a property down there (ie birchbay trailer)or you know someone that lives across the line.Otherwise I think your out of luck.
You could save up some cash and go down to the Lego store and purchase $400 dollars,either stay down for 48 hours or pay the duty,it still would be a good deal I think.

Andrew
03SilveradoLS
Experienced Poster

Post by 03SilveradoLS »

Hi,

I think the best thing to do have it shipped to a friend in the States and then that friend can ship it to you. I've thought about this before with DACTA. They won't ship to Canada and the Canadian retailer just plain sucks. They ripped me off for 4 micro-motors.

If you don't have a friend, try doing this other option I've thought about as well. Contact a Bricklink Seller in the States and ask if you can order sets through him for a nominal charge. I guess we would still end up paying more but it might less than the Canadian retail in the end.
Platypus
Brick God

Post by Platypus »

you wouldn't even need to go that far south. You could cross the border and bring back whatever the daily price limit is for shopping from the nearest TRU or Target or something.

I hope LEGO will realise soon that the exchangerate is not what it was and put our prices back at balance.
David Gagnon - (AKA Daveed or Platypus)
J1A3L5
MOC Poster

Post by J1A3L5 »

Hi everyone,
I had a talk with Steve Witt about the prices (VicLUG and Canadian AFOL's everywhere complain too!) and the sad news is nothing will change in the near future.

According to LEGO, the exchange rate is just a part of how products are priced. The US is a much more competitive and hyperactive market according to their information, driving prices lower. In the foreseeable future, LEGO prices aren't going to change.

I could come up with ways to argue this myself, but it's the word of the company.

-John.
Gumby
Master Poster

Post by Gumby »

Products have always been cheaper, and the selection larger, in the States. Their market is simply so much larger than ours.

Just be thankful that we have a LEGO retail store in a somewhat accessible location. :)
-Bryan
Platypus
Brick God

Post by Platypus »

You are right Bryan. And think how much worse it would be to have one here. PaB is special because it's a little on the far side. You can only go a few times a year. If we had one here, we would spend way more money and it would lose novelty.
David Gagnon - (AKA Daveed or Platypus)