Castle of Morcia on sale

Post sales you know are happening around the lower mainland so that we may all enjoy a good Lego sale!

Moderator: VLC Directors

chump
Element God

Castle of Morcia on sale

Post by chump »

On at www.sears.ca for $99.99, reg $129.99.
TFM
Element King

Re: Castle of Morcia on sale

Post by TFM »

chump wrote:On at www.sears.ca for $99.99, reg $129.99.
What a shame it's not compatible with my collection. Oh well... :?
8) TFM -- ABS addiction is a terrible thing... to waste.
DeGobbi
Brick Deity

Post by DeGobbi »

check that out , looks like MB likes to copy afols too

http://www6.sears.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/ ... =157840860

sure looks like scott's train
VLC Loud mouth
Dave De Gobbi
TFM
Element King

Post by TFM »

Brickhead wrote:check that out , looks like MB likes to copy afols too

http://www6.sears.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/ ... =157840860

sure looks like scott's train

Actually mate, that's the royal hudson. It's a train that used to run across Canada and was, until our government sold it on us, a big money maker in the tourism from here to Squamish. And since MB is Canadian they made their first train a truly Canadian one. I can't blame them for that. Royal Hudson models have been around for some time. So it's not really anyone coping from anyone else. It just is... :P
fantasytrain
MOC Poster

Post by fantasytrain »

FYI:
The Royal Hudson is not a specific locomotive, but a line of steam locomotives. There are 5 lines of Hudson Locomotives. The Royal title came about after the monarchy used them to cross canada. There were two involved in this crossing (both from the streamlined class). Since then the entire fleet of streamlined hudsons was designated as Royal Hudsons.

"The" Royal Hudson, the one is squamish, is owned by the Squamish Railway Museum, but is in major need or repairs.

The true "Royal Hudson" (2850) the one that carried the queen across the country is in the Canadian Railway Museum in Quebec.

Rob
Matthias

MB

Post by Matthias »

Man, does anyone know what is going on to allow MB to expand so aggressively? Forget quality control and lesser "quality" parts - They have (count them!) 33 probuilder sets that would make any lego fan implode if they were available in appropriate bricks, a dozen or so licenced theme ranges (driving who into banckrupcy again?) a massive quantity of varied parts (those dies are horrendously expensive we hear) more colour (some of them consistent) than you can shake a stick at, 10 times the shelf allocation, and they are maintaining a price point 1/3 (being _very_ generous here) that of our own team? For the price of an ISD I could buy 6 Nimitzes.... :cry:

Matthias
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

Okay... since we're going so off topic, I'll throw it more off topic. How about Playmobil? Here we have a company that keeps their product themes around for quite awhile, charges top dollar, has minifig packs (although I see today that Downtown Disney in CA has pick a fig now), great detail and so on, and have you seen the lighting system they have for the houses?

Granted Lego and Playmobil don't necessarily compete, as one is more primarily focused on play value and detail while the other is on construction and flexibility.

ETA: I'm not knocking Playmobil. I've just started looking at it this week and I like what I see. I wouldn't collect it as the price point is too high, but for what it is, it's great.

Plus you have to love this article:
http://www.millionaireplayboy.com/toys/ ... ollect.php
Last edited by chump on Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TFM
Element King

Re: MB

Post by TFM »

Matthias wrote:Man, does anyone know what is going on to allow MB to expand so aggressively? Forget quality control and lesser "quality" parts - They have (count them!) 33 probuilder sets that would make any LEGO® fan implode if they were available in appropriate bricks, a dozen or so licenced theme ranges (driving who into banckrupcy again?) a massive quantity of varied parts (those dies are horrendously expensive we hear) more colour (some of them consistent) than you can shake a stick at, 10 times the shelf allocation, and they are maintaining a price point 1/3 (being _very_ generous here) that of our own team? For the price of an ISD I could buy 6 Nimitzes.... :cry:

Matthias
More sales = more capital = more power to bring out what people want = even more sales... etc etc etc.

It would seem that while lego is pissing off it's people and messing around with their lines and having their quality and flexibility go down the tubes, MB is doing the exact opisite... LEGO's latest blunder is to segment where they sell what lines... We can't get large blue baseplates, can't get vikings etc... Most annoying :evil:
smartiac
MOC Poster

Post by smartiac »

And the crazy thing about Playmobil is that they are growing and yet they remain unavailable to purchase from Wal Mart. Coincidence? Too many people don't give a rat's about quality. MB is appealing to the lowest common denominator of consumer. Those which simply look at the number of parts per dollar, not taking into consideration quality or durability. I work in the Out of school care program at a daycare and we have quite a bit of my cast off MB's there and my heart breaks when the kids try to build something and it doesn't fit or stay together or any number of other problems. All the staff hate the Megabloks. I think that if Lego pulled their product from the shelves of Walmart, they would suffer an initial loss and then would begin to grow again as those consumers who value quality over quantity took their business elsewhere. Just one more reason to despise walmart.
my (off-topic) two bricks. Nathan
kopakanui
MOC Poster

Post by kopakanui »

fantasytrain wrote:FYI:
The Royal Hudson is not a specific locomotive, but a line of steam locomotives. There are 5 lines of Hudson Locomotives. The Royal title came about after the monarchy used them to cross canada. There were two involved in this crossing (both from the streamlined class). Since then the entire fleet of streamlined hudsons was designated as Royal Hudsons.

"The" Royal Hudson, the one is squamish, is owned by the Squamish Railway Museum, but is in major need or repairs.

The true "Royal Hudson" (2850) the one that carried the queen across the country is in the Canadian Railway Museum in Quebec.

Rob
Well I have ridden in the canadian pacific coaches when the royal hudson(squamish) was still in operation 8) . Also the first time I rode on the royal hudson, my dad took me and my brother up to the hudson and asked the crew if me and my brother could go into the cab before it left on its next run. The crew said it was okay for me and my brother to go into the cab :) . The inside was so amazing and we could we see the fire coming out of the fire box and how dirty the crew were. I'll never forget that day it is one of most memorable days of my life. 8)
If one of your lego creations falls apart it is another gateway to your imagination of great things.

Post by Guest »

i'm surprised that MB got Spiderman. you'd think Lego would have some kind of hold on that. MB is now making sets that look very much like the Lego Spiderman sets.
oh, and their NinjeTurtles lines in amazing! i aalmost want to buy it, despite the fact that it's MB

Post by Guest »

oops, i'm not signed in.

this is me, the ever odd PLatypus (David)
Dj_Max
Master Poster

Post by Dj_Max »

Anonymous wrote:i'm surprised that MB got Spiderman. you'd think LEGO® would have some kind of hold on that. MB is now making sets that look very much like the LEGO® Spiderman sets.
oh, and their NinjeTurtles lines in amazing! i aalmost want to buy it, despite the fact that it's MB
I noticed today at Mall-Wart, that they also carry Pokemon...! :shake:
Cheers!

Marc B
VLC President 2005-06
VLC Archivist 2004-05
8)