8421 Crane Mod

Announce your latest and greatest MOCS.

Moderator: VLC Directors

Graham
MOC Poster

8421 Crane Mod

Post by Graham »

Hey guys, here is a crane mod i have been working on for the last few weeks. As you can see the boom length has more than doubled, I added more pulleys for realistic lifting, semi-automated the outriggers via a motor, motorized the drive axle.

Because the boom is longer, i had to build a quick trailer for it to rest on while transporting.

I have a bunch of other things that i want to do with it, just haven't had the time to implement them.

The sub project i am wanting to work on while i work on the crane is a 4 channel control pad with polarity reversing and run the wiring through a Cat5 cable. I have done a preliminary test and it seems to work good at least for my type of projects.

Enjoy,

Graham
Attachments
The crane thus far
The crane thus far
Platypus
Brick God

Post by Platypus »

Wow! That things looks like it's ready to build our next layout!
David Gagnon - (AKA Daveed or Platypus)
Graham
MOC Poster

Post by Graham »

Here is a side profile of the crane ready to drive away. It now has a working drivetrain.

Also included a few other pix. This project is like others a WIP.

Enjoy,

Graham
Attachments
Crane ready to go.  Side profile.
Crane ready to go. Side profile.
Outrigger gearing closeup
Outrigger gearing closeup
Cat5 wiring adapter.  Supports 4 channels.
Cat5 wiring adapter. Supports 4 channels.
Platypus
Brick God

Post by Platypus »

I think you are going to neeed a "Wide Load" sign if you want to rbing that onto a layout. ;-)
David Gagnon - (AKA Daveed or Platypus)
Graham
MOC Poster

Post by Graham »

Yeah probably, as the wheelbase is wider than the road part of the baseplates.

I also would need a semi or 2 for all the counterweights (so the DOT is happy) :)

Graham
Andrew
Brick Overlord

Post by Andrew »

How much weight can it lift without flexing the gears?Is it rcx controlled?Can it be programed to move around on its own as a static display.It does look very impressive .

Andrew
Graham
MOC Poster

Post by Graham »

Andrew wrote:How much weight can it lift without flexing the gears?Is it rcx controlled?Can it be programed to move around on its own as a static display.It does look very impressive .

Andrew
Depending on how far the boom is extended it can probably lift up to a few lbs. It isn't RCX controlled, however at some point that'd be cool. I only have 1.0 at the moment so i haven't bothered integrating it.

Nothing flexs too much at the moment, thanx to the counterweights. The pneumatics were pretty well useless under the load so when the boom is extended, i do have 2 liftarms that are placed to support it.

At the moment the truck chassis has 3 motors and the crane has 1, which extends the boom and also the lifting line.

At some point i would like to motorize the steering, however the main chassis is running out of room. If i had 2 more wheels, i could extend the body to standard scale, then have room for another motor, possibly RCX, and steering control.

Graham
Graham
MOC Poster

Post by Graham »

Here are some updated pix of my crane mod. Been working on the pulley lift system plus the counterweights

Enjoy,

Graham
Attachments
The lift
The lift
Counterweight all added
Counterweight all added
Adding a counterweight
Adding a counterweight
Updated Mobile mode side profile
Updated Mobile mode side profile
Graham
MOC Poster

Post by Graham »

Well, after months of tinkering here is the new updated crane. I removed the function of RCX and instead developed a whole "diesel-electric" system, where the motor assembly (pictured below) contains a alternator which powers the rest of the other motors. Obviously in this process i had to modify some of the authentic Lego wiring to crossmatch different items.

The throttle for the motor assembly is the left-most controller, and the 2 right controllers (which recieve their power from the crane) power either the boom, crane or outriggers.

The cranes functional lifting capacity (with full counterweight shown) is 2 1/2 lbs at 14-15 inches from center of boom, however i am able to lift 5 lbs at a dead lift. At 5 lbs the motors are maxed out.

The main powerpack produces powers the 4.5V motor on the bottom at 9V, which turns the 9V motor to generate 19V. The whole system has run exceptionally well with very little heat generation.

I also attached a RPM meter to the motor to show engine speed under no/part/full loads. The motor when running with(out) load plus when idling, it does also have a realistic sound which i think makes the experience.

I will be bringing the crane to modelcarmecca tomorrow, plus hopefully for the meeting next friday.
Attachments
The new and improved crane.  Here is an overall view
The new and improved crane. Here is an overall view
Crane with load and full counterweight
Crane with load and full counterweight
Closeup of the motor in crane, plus the RPM gauge
Closeup of the motor in crane, plus the RPM gauge
Motor assembly
Motor assembly
Graham
MOC Poster

Post by Graham »

I stumbled upon this website:

http://modellkran.de/index.htm

The guy is german and he custom builds RC vehicles. He also has clips on youtube of his creations. Quite impressive. This is kinda the direction i want to take my lego creations, though i definitely will tinker in other areas.

Now granted Lego plastic can't do the same job as metal, however it sure is a good starting point.
DeGobbi
Brick Deity

Post by DeGobbi »

If only you have a Orange bridge to move with that crane :P

Loooks great man, have you brought that to a meeting ? i would love to see it in person :)
VLC Loud mouth
Dave De Gobbi
Graham
MOC Poster

Post by Graham »

Yeah too bad the orange bridge pcs got snatched up first round :(

This version of the crane has only been shown at ModelCarMecca last weekend. I do plan on bringing it to the show.

I just managed to get a drive motor in there yesterday, however at the moment i don't have enough white and blue to do the gwil pattern.

Here is a website i found that has similar machines to what i'd like to build:

http://www.engineeringwithabs.ch/
AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

Are you guys trying to make me feel guilty? rotflol
Graham
MOC Poster

Post by Graham »

Yeah am abit disappointed in not getting them, but i will persevere. :)

Graham