The unnamed black and yellow ship.

Announce your latest and greatest MOCS.

Moderator: VLC Directors

smartiac
MOC Poster

The unnamed black and yellow ship.

Post by smartiac »

A bit of a remake here. I made a version of this earlier and now I have improved it. A sporty little number for atmospheric travel mostly but capable of travel between colonies in the system with its capacitron drive.
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/smart ... w/bay1.jpg

Here's the gallery, post mod.
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=95981
Enjoy, Nathan
Dj_Max
Master Poster

Post by Dj_Max »

As with all your MOCs, you blow me away again!
Awesome work, really like the sleekness of it...

Keep it up Nathan! :lol:
J1A3L5
MOC Poster

Post by J1A3L5 »

Nice ship. I like the overall design and shape of it, but some of the piece choices I don't like as much. It seems like you used a lot of these newer, more pre-made pieces, and less of the more original and standard pieces. Although it's a nice ship, that doesn't impress me as much. No offense, but it is general much easier to build with larger more "purposeful" pieces, than with a multitude of small pieces.

I do really like the shape of the entire craft, and the colouring. Black and yellow usually looks good on a ship.

Good job.
Dj_Max
Master Poster

Post by Dj_Max »

I am getting tired of you putting down every MOC you see here.
I don't recall anyone mentionning anything bad about yours.

Keep your choices to yourself. :evil:
smartiac
MOC Poster

Post by smartiac »

Hey. I don't mind a little constructive criticism, though it does seem like you have little positive to say. I am totally comfortable with me choice of pieces for this ship. The overall look of it captures very accurately the feel that I was going for. I generally like to use more of the classic, basic pieces as well, but the engine intakes were a study in some interesting SNOT technique. I would be glad to take some more exploded views if anyone cares. I think nearly everyone uses the hard plastic tires as engines of some sort and as far as the landing gear are concerned, I was actually really happy with the way the ball joint ends fit so nicely into the ends of the click hinges to make a somewhat useless piece just a little less useless. Who of us doesn't have hoards of pieces that just seem to sit there, begging for alternative uses.
Anyways thanks for the comments.
Nathan
DeGobbi
Brick Deity

Post by DeGobbi »

I totally dig the back of the ship ! The intakes for the fusion / ion , whatever powered engines are reall a great use of SNOT . Might wanna put some tiles on the front , just behind the cockpit . smooth it out a big more :) maybe just some of those 1x2 grills in black would do the trick . or experiment with a different canopy .

maybe the one off the jedi starfighter ! :woo:

I really like the great use of the landing gear too
VLC Loud mouth
Dave De Gobbi
J1A3L5
MOC Poster

Post by J1A3L5 »

Dj_Max wrote:I am getting tired of you putting down every MOC you see here.
If no one got anything the least bit critical said about their MOC's, no one would improve. I was just pointing out what my thoughts were about it. I thought I was civil, and wasn't all-bad. I generally don't respond to a MOC if I have nothing constructive to say. To me it's a waste of time to say "Wow, cool ship." because it doesn't offer anything for the builder to work with in the future. I don't think I'm putting down every MOC I see here. I certainly don't mean to. I post at a fair amount of forums (Classic-Castle.Com, FBTB.net, and several smaller ones) and post often. No one has ever complained about me being overly critical before. Most people respond nicely, not insulted about what I said, because I don't say it in an insulting manner. If I wanted to sit here putting down MOC's, I simply wouldn't come, because it's a stupid thing to do.
Dj_Max also wrote:I don't recall anyone mentionning anything bad about yours.
I don't recall you having anything bad to say. I have no problem with people disliking my MOC's, as long as it isn't done in a rude way. You can completely hate everything I've ever made, I don't care, as long as you say why. You make it sound like somehow your response was under my control. I would actually rather have someone tell me what I need to improve, than make some "wow cool dude!!" post, which, when it comes down to it, means nothing.
Finally, Dj_Max also wrote:Keep your choices to yourself. :evil:
Look, I don't even know what "choice" I made. I had an opinion about it, I tried to post it in a constructive way. To me, the ship just doesn't have much new in it, except a very nice overall shape. I said that. That doesn't mean it is a bad MOC - It is usually very hard to come up with something original and new. But if people here can't handle that, you can either ban me, tell me to go, be rude, whatever you want. I really don't care. I don't have to be here. I thought this seemed like a nice place, with people "closer to home" that I could try to be more a part of, since I'm only 15 and live in a small town where there's no one else interested in LEGO. I guess I was wrong, or people are too immature to handle things. I don't know, you tell me.

I don't see that I've done anything wrong. I try to type politely and civilly, I try to type properly, using punctuation, capitals, etc., I try to share MOC's and offer constructive feedback to others that can be used in the future.

--------------------------

Again, I like the ship, and it's main design and "look" but I do believe parts of it could have been executed better. There will never not be a better. There will always be good and bad parts of any MOC. I don't think anyone makes perfect MOC's.

If you want, I can list things:

Pros:
-Engines. A new design, which is extremely hard to come up with. (Atleast for me) A especially good use of pieces, as I don't especially like some of the pieces used in them, but they look good in this case, and go well with the rest of the ship.
-The landing gear. The back ones are a very good use of pieces, but those pieces I've never especially liked. But in this case they give great movement and the ability to fold up.
-The overall shape, especially the 7166 style angled cockpit. It all offers something new, which with so many ships already made, is hard to come up with.
-Good colour scheme, "equal looking"

Cons:
-Cockpit. Especially the clear 3x6x1 clear slope. It does it's purpose, but looks out of place with the curves of the rest of the ship.
-In front of the canopy, the angle plates have a sort of after-thought look to them. Specifically, the front-most one.
-As I said before, the use of larger, more pre-made pieces. While they have their uses (especially on the engine here) too many give it a pre-fab look.
-The underside. Of course, undersides aren't always looked at or important. It isn't a big deal, it just doesn't strike me as the prettiest thing. It is much better than some I have done though. Actually, all I've done.
-The landing gear at the back don't look as great folded up. I don't see how this could be avoided without some very tricky retraction system, but they look like they'd fly off right away. Down, they do look good though, especially the angles that can be obtained with them.

Now, those are my opinions. You can think it's the worst MOC you've seen in your life, or the best ship you've seen in your life. I really don't care. And personally, if it was my ship, and you picked either of those, I wouldn't take your opinion very seriously. Those are my opinions, what I think is good and what needs improvement.

-John "J1A3L5" L.
Dj_Max
Master Poster

Post by Dj_Max »

Hey J1A3L5, I want to apologize for my comments about your critisizing the MOCs. I should know better, that everyone has to have their own opinions, and what I said was totally out of line.

I was just in a bad head space, and spoke before I thought.

Again, sorry! :(