Announce your latest and greatest MOCS.

Moderator: VLC Directors

J1A3L5
MOC Poster

Castle Gate

Post by J1A3L5 »

Hi all,
After much waiting and many delays I've completed my Gate MOC:

I'm not sure what more to say, other than as always, constructive feedback, good or bad, is always appreciated and more than welcome.

Thanks for looking, and enjoy!
DeGobbi
Brick Deity

Post by DeGobbi »

very very nice . i haven't built castle for a very long time , but i love the way that its very prototypical. I really like the windows in the 2 towers , how they are connected too .

Are the insides of the towers detailed ? you should make llittle medevil shops that can go on the other side .

Is it CCC compatible ?
VLC Loud mouth
Dave De Gobbi
Robin
Master Poster

Post by Robin »

Really nice, John!

I was sorry to read that your tower had to die in order for this MOC to live. I was looking forward to seeing them together.

I share your love of old dark grey. Your landscaping, along with the bricked-up trees, is excellent.

I also share your wish that the 2x2x3 slopes were cheaper. I think their priciness (and their resultant scarcity in my collection) is the main reason I haven't used them more. Your towers have an "upheld claw" look to them that really works.

Thanks for posting it!

Cheers,

Robin
J1A3L5
MOC Poster

Post by J1A3L5 »

Brickhead wrote:very very nice . i haven't built castle for a very long time , but i love the way that its very prototypical. I really like the windows in the 2 towers , how they are connected too .
Thanks! I hadn't built castle for a long time either, then I came across C-C.com from a friend of mine, and after about 8 months there, I got interested. Castle can be very fun to build.
Brickhead also wrote:Are the insides of the towers detailed ? you should make llittle medevil shops that can go on the other side .
The towers aren't really detailed inside. From the 2 doorways into each tower, there is simple a brown floor with a step in the middle. (The walkway over the gate is a brick higher than the wall walkways.)
In addition to that, Brickhead wrote:Is it CCC compatible ?
Hehe, not a chance. Mine is over twice as tall, and twice as wide as a CCC wall, and the landscaping wouldn't work either. Not to mention my wall sections are an extra half too long...

Robin wrote:Really nice, John!
Thanks!
Robin also wrote:I was sorry to read that your tower had to die in order for this MOC to live. I was looking forward to seeing them together.
So was I, but I simply couldn't afford to get all the parts to have each at a time. Using 1x4's too, I might have been able to come close to making all the light grey bricked areas, but not the crenels or walkways. The landscaping, however, I could never have come close to doing. I almost ran out of dark grey bricks just on the gate. Unfortunately, as of about 7:00 last night the gate has been disassembled, sorted, and all is as if it was never made. Someone was interested, so I took this pic of my parts bins after taking it apart. A very large portion of those bricks were all used, although the "other size" bin of light grey was still half full.

Additionally, Robin wrote:I share your love of old dark grey. Your landscaping, along with the bricked-up trees, is excellent.
Thanks! Everyone seems to like my landscaping. I was asked to write an article for Classic-Castle.com ages ago, and started one, but never really got anywhere. A few days ago I wrote a bit more: Hopefully I'll complete it this time!

Finally, Robin wrote:I also share your wish that the 2x2x3 slopes were cheaper. I think their priciness (and their resultant scarcity in my collection) is the main reason I haven't used them more. Your towers have an "upheld claw" look to them that really works.
Indeed they are too expensive: Last night I couned them all, and I have exactly 60 of them in light grey. The stunning thing is, that is easily $30 USD worth on bricklink. 1x2 light grey tiles are another item far too expensive.

I might also add, you're not the first person to come up with the "upheld claw" analogy of the crenellations. I never thought of it myself, but when I look at it again, I really do like that "look" of it.

Thanks for responding and for the praise! I do my best.

-John.
Robin
Master Poster

Post by Robin »

J1A3L5 wrote:So was I, but I simply couldn't afford to get all the parts to have each at a time. Using 1x4's too, I might have been able to come close to making all the light grey bricked areas, but not the crenels or walkways. The landscaping, however, I could never have come close to doing. I almost ran out of dark grey bricks just on the gate. Unfortunately, as of about 7:00 last night the gate has been disassembled, sorted, and all is as if it was never made. Someone was interested, so I took this pic of my parts bins after taking it apart. A very large portion of those bricks were all used, although the "other size" bin of light grey was still half full.
It's amazing how quickly those bricks are sucked up, isn't it! :(

I'm building a large castle right now, and my stash is shrinking rapidly before my eyes.

Robin