Zamboni

Announce your latest and greatest MOCS.

Moderator: VLC Directors

Bricksky
Brick Overlord

Zamboni

Post by Bricksky »

Built in December - Finally posted to Flickr...

Album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/tylersky/ ... 0839019834
Last edited by Bricksky on Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TroopaDee
Master Poster

Re: Zamboni

Post by TroopaDee »

Ahhh it's so cute, I want one!!! rotflol
Kyler
Brick Deity

Post by Kyler »

I'm just as impressed with the detail you put into building part of a rink as a photo backdrop! :-)
Kyler Storm - (not the Gladiator)
Bricksky
Brick Overlord

Post by Bricksky »

Kyler wrote:I'm just as impressed with the detail you put into building part of a rink as a photo backdrop! :-)
Thanks Kyler, but I really only built a small part of it... ;)

Imagine an entire Rink! That would be truly impressive...
ha ha

ps. This section of the rink did use up every 1x5x6 white panel I have, every 1x3x4 trans clear panel I had, so building anything more elaborate was out of the question. Also, most of those parts on the railing are NOT clicked together but are simply just resting one on top of the other, which is fine for this temporary backdrop for the photo shoot. It took about an hour to prepare for the shoot, and seconds to tear down, but still needs to be resorted back into my collection for future use.
Last edited by Bricksky on Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
TheRebricker
Master Poster

Post by TheRebricker »

Thanks for the extra shot, it helps the rest of us non-amazing photographers see what goes into staging a picture. Looks awesome!
- Jason
Bricksky
Brick Overlord

Post by Bricksky »

Well, if that helps, let me also say:
-Camera was Canon G16 on tripod.
-Setting was fully manual, F 2.8 at .5 seconds, focus set on zamboni driver to give narrow depth of field. i.e. background NOT in focus.
-Only used Kitchen florescent lights above (yes flourescent / yuck ) with daylight coming in from the side. I adjusted for flourescent light balance in ACDSee to get color right... I typically turn them off and use other light sources, but I was lazy this time...
-I took about 40 photos from various angles, imported them all, and kept only the best 10.
-I adjusted the images initially using ACDSee Pro 9. I use this for basic editing, and color adjustments.
-I then open the best ones in PhotoShop and add the text "BrickSky". I also use photoshop to fix off color bricks, eliminate large gaps I missed tightening up before taking the photos, and also often insert custom backdrops from other images (usually copied from the internet)...
-Finally I post the best images to Flickr. (I usually only post 5, but felt the alternative focus image was interesting... so 6 for this MOC)
Flickr Tip: Post your images in reverse order, as Flickr will show the one you added last, as the first item in your photo stream.

If you or anyone else has questions about taking photos, using Flickr, basic photo editing, etc, I am happy to help, to the limit of my knowledge (I'm always learning). I myself am totally self taught, have no expensive equipment, typically do not use a light box (I have a small one I built, but would like a much bigger one). I am big fan of poster board for backdrops, and I do have two El-Cheapo light stands that I often use with NATURAL WHITE BALANCED bulbs, when I feel more direct lighting is needed.

Their are a number of accomplished photographers (Alan, Pierre, others...) in our club that can also help answer any questions or help take photo's etc. ;)

-Tyler
;)

PS. I use to bring all my photography stuff to the meetings, but stopped after interest dwindled from others bringing their stuff in for me to photograph. Having said that, I am willing to bring my camera equipment and lights to meetings if you or anyone else (reading this), has a small MOC you'd like me to photograph for you. Just let me know in advance.
Gumby
Master Poster

Post by Gumby »

Wow the model, background, and photography are all top notch!
-Bryan
JamesH
Master Poster

Post by JamesH »

Gumby wrote:Wow the model, background, and photography are all top notch!
Agreed!
Are the boards and glass just balanced or is there some crazy attachment thing going on behind them?
Bricksky
Brick Overlord

Post by Bricksky »

JamesH wrote:Are the boards and glass just balanced or is there some crazy attachment thing going on behind them?
Just balancing on top of each other... If this was a permanent display I'd do a snot attachment every 14 studs with a 1x6 white plate.
jeffrose
MOC Poster

Post by jeffrose »

Really nicely done. A compact but fully detailed model, with even more work done to set the scene.
VLC - Technical Director Since 2018
Owner of: Brick Brains and BricksAndLinks
Hamslice
Element King

Post by Hamslice »

Grat's on the blog.
Blogged at www.bricknerd.com
AC
Brick God

Post by AC »