Vancouver LEGO store

A place for people at large to discuss items of interest with other people and members of the VLC.

Moderator: VLC Directors

isaacada1
General Poster

Vancouver LEGO store

Post by isaacada1 »

Any word that LEGO would be opening an official store in Greater Vancouver? Are the other two locations in Canada doing well? Can't figure out why the economics haven't worked for them to open a store in the area.
Brian
MOC Poster

Re: Vancouver LEGO store

Post by Brian »

There are two in Alberta and one in Toronto, i do not know if anyone can add even rumours of one in Metro Vancouver.

Brian
Jonathan S.
Master Poster

Post by Jonathan S. »

I have been waiting 10 years for a closer Lego store. And, sadly, its just not happening. :( I live in an area with lots of businesses, but none within walking distance that sell lego. :x
They called me loser... I called me BrickStar
soundwave
Brick Deity

Post by soundwave »

the going theory is that Vancouverites are willing to drive to Bellevue thus they are in rush to open a store here. Most other large Canadian cities are not with driving distance to a Lego store.
Another rumor is that some of the probable mall locations have a Toysrus in them and they are using their power to keep any Lego stores out.
Alberta residents on average have more disposable income then other Canadians which is why they are about to get a second store in Edmonton.

Even if we did get a store up here many of us would still head south to buy sets at U.S. prices as long as our dollar is strong.
Shane Weckstrom

flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/43769067@N08/

Save a Tree, Eat a Beaver
AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

Having their own con back east could have been a factor for them in the decision to open the one out there. As for the two in in Alberta $$$$$$.
AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

soundwave wrote:Even if we did get a store up here many of us would still head south to buy sets at U.S. prices as long as our dollar is strong.
One would seriously have to weigh the cost of gas, a day of driving and the benefits of keeping the local Lego store around if it were to come. :D
RadStar
Master Poster

Post by RadStar »

I dont have the time to make a trip down across the border :P
Roger the Deaf Guy
My Moc Page
isaacada1
General Poster

Post by isaacada1 »

Funny you mention the driving part about going to LEGO stores. There's quite a few people in Seattle, that save up and go 2-3 times a year down to the Portland Area LEGO store so they don't have to pay sales tax, even though they have the store in Bellevue.

If Vancouver can support two Ikea stores no reason it can't support a single LEGO store.

Good theory on the Toys R Us.

Cheers

Isaac
beethead
MOC Poster

Post by beethead »

I've often dreamed of opening a Lego hobby store but the numbers just don't work. Pretty hard to net enough sales to pay the rent and atleast one employee and expect to feed a family every month. If each Lego store were to operate as an independent or franchise they wouldn't last in their high-end mall locations. TLG has done a pretty good job of making sure small independent operations based solely on Lego cannot exist.
Jonathan S.
Master Poster

Post by Jonathan S. »

beethead wrote:I've often dreamed of opening a Lego hobby store but the numbers just don't work. Pretty hard to net enough sales to pay the rent and atleast one employee and expect to feed a family every month. If each Lego store were to operate as an independent or franchise they wouldn't last in their high-end mall locations. TLG has done a pretty good job of making sure small independent operations based solely on Lego cannot exist.
I'd work for lego bricks! :p
They called me loser... I called me BrickStar
beethead
MOC Poster

Post by beethead »

isaacada1 wrote:Funny you mention the driving part about going to LEGO stores. There's quite a few people in Seattle, that save up and go 2-3 times a year down to the Portland Area LEGO store so they don't have to pay sales tax, even though they have the store in Bellevue.

If Vancouver can support two Ikea stores no reason it can't support a single LEGO store.

Good theory on the Toys R Us.
US citizens are able to do the drive from Seattle to Portland 2-3 times a year or more because they're not crossing a border where they are expected to pay taxes. The savings for a WA state citizen would be roughly 9% (sales tax) and it would only be a 2-3 hour drive each way (a drive across a bridge if you lived in Vancouver, WA). A sweet daytrip. For BC'ers to drive to Portland we would spend about 6-7 hours driving each way and have to stay atleast 48 hours so that we can bring $400 worth of goods per person without paying duty/taxes. When you add the time and factor in the cost of atleast 1 night of accommodations you probably do not end up saving anything at all if your single intention is to bring some Lego back home.

I'm happy to drive to Bellevue for a daytrip (Lego store/TRU) given the strong Canadian dollar right now and on the way back my family can stop at the various outlets/stores for clothing, groceries and gas. My magic $$$ number to cross without expecting to pay duty/taxes is $100 per person and I usually go with a total of 5 persons in the car. I've noticed the border agents at the truck crossing seem more friendlier than the guys at Peach Arch. I'd like to hear what other people's magic number is without paying. The Maersk Train will be part of the plan on my next daytrip to Bellevue in May. Just hope they have it in stock. If not, I'll have to settle for something else.

The only mall in Metro Vancouver that has the same feel as the Bellevue and Portland store locations would be Oakridge. It has a similar high-end atmosphere but not nearly the number of shoppers nor size. Metrotown would be a better location with higher traffic but I don't think the consumer demographics is right.
soundwave
Brick Deity

Post by soundwave »

I also find the Truck crossing the best for not paying duty. I think I have only been dinged once in the last 7 years.
My average is 70-180 per trip.
Last year myself and Paul brought back $3000 worth in a single day without having to pay.
Shane Weckstrom

flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/43769067@N08/

Save a Tree, Eat a Beaver
Andrew
Brick Overlord

Post by Andrew »

I havent been down for a year and a half,have no passport right now.I've been down with PaulH sometimes and I believe I was hauled in for paying duty on a $27 item(pab cups),that was at Aldergrove crossing.I've gone down with my wife,(she looks angelic)and I say I have $600 of lego to declare,border guard looks at my wife and says go on through,go figure.
I'd say the truck crossing does seem to be more forgiving.I've gone through Peace Arch crossing with my brother and almost had a rubber glove up my arse.

Cheers ,Andrew
Lego trains are just the best!
Arct3ryx
Experienced Poster

Post by Arct3ryx »

Late to the conversation, but I do head down often on day trips and the like; where are the spots in the Seattle area and Portland area that are must-visits for LEGO fans? I just came back from Edmonton too ... had no idea there was such a thing as a LEGO store. Dammit...
AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

There is a Lego Store in 119 Bellevue Square Bellevue, Washington Phone: (425) 451-2271 and 9410 SW Washington Sq. Rd. Tigard, Oregon Phone: (503) 670-9109. :D
RadStar
Master Poster

Post by RadStar »

Went to my first Lego store in Toronto a couple weeks ago. Im already regretting not getting a 2nd Large PAB cup.. ah well live & learn ;) :(

They had just about every Lego set currently available, but still no Krusty Krab Shack set hmmph. They had the Pet Shop and also Green Grocer, and also I believe the Grand Emporium

The Lego Store was located in the West Mall at Sherway Gardens. There was ANOTHER huge mall called "East Mall" just a minute away that had Toys R Us - which I assume carries a bunch Lego

I think a Lego Store in Vancouver would do well. I dont believe Lego Store would have too many (or any) sales on their line of product, as to keep their stock steady, and other retailers can have their sales as usual so its still competitive. Also I feel Lego Store is an awesome tourist destination.

I say we push for a Lego Store somewhere around here. But obivously not at Metrotown or any locations with a HUGE Lego selection such as the Zellers at Brentwood I recently discovered.

Cheers!!
Roger the Deaf Guy
My Moc Page
Arct3ryx
Experienced Poster

Post by Arct3ryx »

AC wrote:There is a Lego Store in 119 Bellevue Square Bellevue, Washington Phone: (425) 451-2271 and 9410 SW Washington Sq. Rd. Tigard, Oregon Phone: (503) 670-9109. :D
Thanks for that :) Think I'll wait out the July 1st & 4th crowds before heading down there for a gander...!
kennymatic
Experienced Poster

Post by kennymatic »

Zellers at Brentwood has a huge LEGO selection?? I've consistently been disappointed with the LEGO selection at the Metropolis Zellers.
Last edited by kennymatic on Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RadStar
Master Poster

Post by RadStar »

Yep metrotown Zellers sucks

Brentwood Zellers had 2 aisles of lego last time I was there
Roger the Deaf Guy
My Moc Page
beethead
MOC Poster

Post by beethead »

I was out in North Van today and dropped by Capilano Mall to the Toys'R'Us Express store. I was surprised to see in their window display the Fire Brigade, Grand Emporium, Medieval Market and Emerald Night! They had more than one of each in the display too. Inside they didn't have them on the shelves but I did see PotC Queen Anne's Revenge, the new City Harbour sets, new Kingdoms sets and Alien Conquest sets. I haven't been inside of a TRU in a few months but I was surprised to see an Express store with so many sets. Last Christmas there was an Express store in Brentwood Mall but with Zellers, London Drugs and Sears it probably was not a good location.
brankell5566
MOC Poster

Post by brankell5566 »

I would love to see a LEGO store in Richmond Centre.
tnology
New Poster

Post by tnology »

I wish there is a Lego store in Vancouver, but unfortunately buying sets from the US is much more economical.
All Lego sets cost much more here in canada than it does in the states.
For example, buying a Lego modular building set costs $150 in the US, buying one from Lego.ca costs $200!

So what i usually do is order online from Lego.com US store, and ship it to a post office in Blaine, right over the border, like Kinect Logistics. They only charge $5 per shipped package under 50lbs. So last time I ordered 3 modular sets, I saved $150! And driving to Blaine is nothing, compared to Bellevue.

So even if they opened a Lego store here, I would still buy large sets like this from the US store instead.
RadStar
Master Poster

Post by RadStar »

I'd agree with you on the larger sets like Modular Buildings, the price difference of $50 is a huge motivator to make arrangements to save money..

But when its smaller sets, do you really go to such lengths?

I buy the smaller stuff at retail or on sale locally.. the big stuff Ive gotten from States or Bricklink.
Roger the Deaf Guy
My Moc Page
AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

Here is the question, would we Lego fans in the Vancouver area really support a Lego Brand Store here with their prices or would we still shop across the line for US prices?
tnology
New Poster

Post by tnology »

@RedStar:
No, it's not worth the $20 - $30 sets to drive to the US.
But even the sets that typically cost $59 in the US, cost $79 here, like the xmas sets. So if you wait till you can order a few at a time, you'll save $20 per set. Which is still a big savings for the half hour drive to Blaine.

Also having a Nexus card is a big plus. The Nexus card is totally worth the $50 for 5yrs btw, I've only had it for a year and it's already paid off not having to waiting 1.5hrs the last 3 trips I made to the US.

The price difference between Lego in the US and other countries is pretty unfair compared to other products nowadays.