LEGO Books at Costco

Post sales you know are happening around the lower mainland so that we may all enjoy a good Lego sale!

Moderator: VLC Directors

chump
Element God

LEGO Books at Costco

Post by chump »

UPDATE: I'm hijacking my own thread and making it into a LEGO Books at Costco thread, so I don't start a new thread every time. Please note that whatever is posted was available at the time of posting but may be unavailable even a week later, as some books sell fast.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's a neat little inspiration book called Brick City: Global Icons to Make from LEGO for $12.99+taxes at Costco which is really quite cool, if you're into recognizable microscale architecture.

http://www.amazon.com/Brick-City-Global ... 1438002491

I'll bring it to the next meeting, but there were only four left in Richmond, so go buy it now.

They also had the DK Collectible Minifig Character Encylopedia (with toy soldier fig) but I can't remember the price.

http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Minifigures- ... 1465401725
Pierre
VLC Ambassador to TLG & VLC Director

My avatar is Ninjago's Pythor P Chumsworth. YAY! I finally have him! Thank you.
brankell5566
MOC Poster

Re: BOOK: Brick City at Costco $12.99

Post by brankell5566 »

It is a shame that all of the Toy Soldiers have been stolen from the Character Encyclopedia (Richmond store).
Gumby
Master Poster

Post by Gumby »

brankell5566 wrote:It is a shame that all of the Toy Soldiers have been stolen from the Character Encyclopedia (Richmond store).
Wow that really sucks... I was there around 2pm today and saw a total of 3 books. Two were without the plastic shrink wrap, and toy soldiers missing. The third had damaged shrink wrap around the minifig, but he was still there. Guess someone nabbed him after I left.
-Bryan
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

There were lots of the Character Encyclopedia there the other day. Not that that helps.
LEGO Minifigure Character.jpg
LEGO Minifigure Character.jpg (28.73 KiB) Viewed 97751 times
Pierre

chump
Element God

Re: LEGO Books at Costco

Post by chump »

I'm hijacking my own thread and making it into a LEGO Books at Costco thread. Please note that whatever is posted was available at the time of posting but may be unavailable even a week later, as some books sell fast.

LEGO Play Book $11.99 (MSRP $24.99)
LEGO Play Book.jpg
LEGO Play Book.jpg (25 KiB) Viewed 97752 times
http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/Leg ... -item.html
Pierre

chump
Element God

Post by chump »

LEGO Minifigure Year by Year $19.99 (MSRP Cdn $40)
LEGO Minifigure Year by Year.jpg
LEGO Minifigure Year by Year.jpg (27.74 KiB) Viewed 97751 times
http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/leg ... -item.html
Pierre

Andrew
Brick Overlord

Post by Andrew »

any reviews of these books ,are they all worth getting.?The large one at the meeting at Mcdonalds was cool.

,Andrew
Lego trains are just the best!
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

Andrew wrote:any reviews of these books ,are they all worth getting.?The large one at the meeting at Mcdonalds was cool.

,Andrew
Oddly, I've been thinking about adding a book section to the website because some of the most recent books are quite book with excellent photos for inspiration.

I quite like Brick City, The LEGO Adventure Book Vol 1., The LEGO Amazing Vehicles Book Vol 1. Volume 2 of each book is coming out very soon. I'll bring them to the next meeting. I haven't go the ones that Tim brought yet, but hopefully soon.

For the price point at Costco, the LEGO Play Book is excellent value and a no brainer. I think it's a great gift that will get kids to want to build more. Although I did see one kid look at this book at Chapters and he said cool, and then when he looked at it, he said, it was too much work, which was crushing. But I think he was reaching an age where he's being pulled in different directions.
Pierre

Maple
General Poster

Post by Maple »

Costco also has the big head "Lego Sort and Store", sorry I missed the price $30ish I think.

chump
Element God

Post by chump »

I found The Brick Bible at Costco in the US today for US$18.99+taxes. The price on Chapters is about $23.79+taxes (MSRP $37.95)

For those unfamiliar it's an irreverant look at the Bible all photographed in LEGO.

Edited to add: It's two hard cover books, a limited edition poster in a slipcover.
TheBrickBible.jpg
TheBrickBible.jpg (28.68 KiB) Viewed 97523 times
Pierre

timtosino
Element King

Post by timtosino »

Wow, didn't walmart refuse to carry his book a couple years ago?
-Tim Tosino
Lugnet #606
ILTCO #101
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tim_tosino/
Slogghead
Experienced Poster

Post by Slogghead »

They also have these 2 collections for only $7.49 each at the Langley Costco.

I bought a bunch for my nieces and nephews!
9781409333135.jpg
9781409333135.jpg (26.78 KiB) Viewed 97488 times
9781409333203.jpg
9781409333203.jpg (25.2 KiB) Viewed 97488 times
"I assure you, Lord Vader, my men are working as fast as they can." "Perhaps I can find new ways to motivate them."
http://www.flickr.com/photos/slogghead
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

Okay, the following are NOT at Costco, but online through Chapters. Use the promo code "welcomedec" (in December 2013, naturally) for an additional $5 off of $30+ Free shipping over $25. A few % more for being a Plum Rewards member.

I bought the new LEGO Adventure Book Vol 2 and LEGO Space which are both well rated on www.brickset.com and it came to $29.90 for everything in.

http://www.brickset.com/news/?Book-review

I know many of you were also interested in the Beautiful LEGO Book.

Also caught my eye and similar to The Brick Bible was Brick Shakespeare and Brick Presidential Assassinations.

Pierre

JayKay
Master Poster

Post by JayKay »

Damn you Pierre. You made me spend more money.
Platypus
Brick God

Post by Platypus »

if any of you Costco shopper/members see the brick Bible at the $20 price again, I would love a copy.
David Gagnon - (AKA Daveed or Platypus)
Brickbaron
Master Poster

Post by Brickbaron »

Don't forget Sarah Herman's Extreme Lego Book.

It features quite a few local builders including myself. I learned a lot reading it so would recommened it beyond the fact that I'm in it.

It is for sale at Amazon.ca for $16.12

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/162636 ... em_1p_3_ti.

Sorry, can't figure out how to make a picture come up in the post.

Paul
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

Cool! Although, I gotta admit that purely from the title, it doesn't sound very interesting and I would have given it a pass, if you hadn't mentioned it.

Extreme Bricks is currently cheaper through Amazon.ca than Chapters.
Pierre

Brickbaron
Master Poster

Post by Brickbaron »

chump wrote:Image

Cool! Although, I gotta admit that purely from the title, it doesn't sound very interesting and I would have given it a pass, if you hadn't mentioned it.

Extreme Bricks is currently cheaper through Amazon.ca than Chapters.
Pierre, you are entitled to your opinion.

I happen to like the book and really enjoyed reading it. Of all the books listed above it is the only one that name checks the VLC and our mythology show. It also features six local builders who most of us know. Why that is uninteresting and worthy of a pass I'm not sure.

I probably wouldn't have spent $48.00 for Charlene and I to go and see Fraulein J's Camp for Children this Friday simply because of the title. But I have two friends featuring in the show who I want to support so I'm going.

It would have been nice if you could have said something positive about Extreme Bricks because your friend is in it. At $16.12 it is also much less expensive than Fraulein J's Camp for Children.

Paul
timtosino
Element King

Post by timtosino »

Extreme Bricks looks like a very interesting read, I'm glad they have a better preview of it now on Amazon. I thought it was just going to be a Builder Profile Book like Beautiful LEGO by Mike Doyle but from the preview it looks like a great read.
-Tim Tosino
Lugnet #606
ILTCO #101
Brickbaron
Master Poster

Post by Brickbaron »

Thanks Tim.

I really do recommend it. It doesn't have quite as many pictures as Beautiful Lego, but the text covers a lot of interesting aspects of the hobby. From the history of Lego as an art form to the Great Ball Contraption as well as interesting facts about all the different Lego Guinness World Records that have been achieved.
Then there are nice articles about all the featured builders and behind the scenes info on their creations.
I thought it was a nice collection of builders from around the globe including some of my favorite builds like the Thai Palace shown on the cover.

Paul
timtosino
Element King

Post by timtosino »

The link above was for amazon.com not .ca. I ordered Extreme Bricks and The LEGO Adventure Book Vol 2 from Chapters since Chapters has them for the same price as amazon.ca and used the $5 promo, Extreme Bricks seems to be out of stock so I won't get them in time for Xmas sadly.
-Tim Tosino
Lugnet #606
ILTCO #101
Andrew
Brick Overlord

Post by Andrew »

Its funny how a paragraph in an forum post could be read from different perspectives and get different feedback,positive or negative.
Paul I thought Pierre was just stating that the title of the book wasn't exciting enough or does the articles inside an injustice.
sounds like a good book with a different approach to the articles and the builders inside.I hope to pick this one up.

,Andrew
Lego trains are just the best!
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

Sorry Paul, you misunderstood my comment. I was thanking you for recommending it, as it had gone under my radar. There are so many Lego books out there and I had only looked at the subtitle in making a decision and dismissed it. I didn't want a book about record breakers (do i really want to know about the tallest Lego structure? was my assumption, which clearly I was wrong) But now that I know more about it, it is now a book that is on my next round list to purchase. What I poorly worded and failed to make clear was that this book suffers from a poor subtitle and that people like myself needs to look past that and find out more about it. Like reading the table of contents in the "look inside" which I did after your mentioning it. And it's quite an amazing list.

Hope that clarifies things.

I really do hope to hear about how you got involved in the book. I find that fascinating.
Pierre

Brickbaron
Master Poster

Post by Brickbaron »

I had thought that you had seen the book at the Cocktails and Lego event. I just assumed that everyone at the event had a chance to look through it. I apologize if I assumed you had seen it Pierre.

But what I would have hoped is that since a VLC member is featured in the book. Which was made clear in my original post. That fact alone would be cause for someone to either recommend the book on the forums or at least put in a positive word like (Hey Paul is in this, lets check it out)

Paul
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

Brickbaron wrote:But what I would have hoped is that since a VLC member is featured in the book. Which was made clear in my original post. That fact alone would be cause for someone to either recommend the book on the forums or at least put in a positive word like (Hey Paul is in this, lets check it out)

Paul
Point taken. I will definitely be front paging this book for that reason, once the show is over. So Sunday, I'll get around to the backlog of blog posts which I'll time to release daily, so it's not just a whole flood of posts on one day.

And yes, I am definitely excited that you are in this book.
Pierre